Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #1

Share |

Solar Roof Pump for Ponding Water

Does anyone know anything about the reliability/use of the following product? http://www.solarroofpumps.com/

I currently have an IB roof installed on my flat roof with ponding water on certain areas. The IB roof membrane can handle the ponding water without any problem, however I don't want the water sitting on the roof any longer then necessary because of the added extra weight.

Any info on using the above product would be appreciated.

I live in NM if that makes any difference.

Thanks

newmex999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Roofmaster

How much ponding are we talking about? Im not familiar with IB, but it seems pretty popular out west. Is IB basically a PVC membrane?

Frankly, and I know I am being a Monday Morning QB here, is that it is bad in a lot of ways, and on a residence it is pretty easy to eliminate it with tapered insulation. It is bad for at least the following reasons.

1. It increases the effect of UV.
2. It causes dirt to settle on your roof, decreasing reflectivity.
3. It breeds mosquitoes.
4. If deep enough, it causes ongoing, progressive deflection.

If I were you, and if the ponding is fairly concentrated, I wuld place a brick in the spot you think is the worst, and keep moving it to the spot which stays wet the longest. I would then install a cast iron roof drain right in that spot, and sump the drain so the water gets off the roof. They make a type A roof drain which is a right angle drain, and you can usually run 3 inch PVC pipe between your roof rafters. You can work from the top by cutting out a small area of decking.

The solar pumps I have seen clog up with atmospheric dirt and slime pretty quick, and burn up.

If the ponding is gone within 48 hours after the rain stops, forget it, but you may want to pressure wash your roof once or twice a year.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #3

PVC Membrane

1/2" ponding in a few of the larger areas. 3/4" in some of the others. One other small area 1.5".

Roof was just done last year, so pitching now is out. I inquired about "pitching" the roof when I had the job done and was quoted an additional 37%. I could barely afford the membrane roof(still paying it off) let alone the pitching. I was also advised that there was no issue with IB and the ponding water. It was either IB or the asphalt and gravel roof at half the price(no way I was going down that road again).

Cutting in a drain is also not an option because of the new roof.

When they did the IB roof, they removed all of the gravel, which I'm sure lightened the load on the roof.

This is NM, so hard rainfalls are far and few between. For those times when we get significant rainfall I think I will just put my submersible utility pump up there with the garden hose attached and bring the water level down to 1/2", keeping the deflection to a minimum. Great way to work on my tan also!

I also had the same concern that you mentioned about the solar pumps getting clogged. And they are not cheap!
newmex999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Roofmaster

I just read the IB residential warranty. I am not impressed. Most people do not really read roof Warranties. I do, or I should say I did, because it was part of my job to find the loopholes. The IB Warranty has a lot of them.

1. They do not warrant the seams.
2. They exclude damage by organisms. Membranes based on Chlorinated Polyethylene CPE, and Chloro-sulfanated Polyethylene CSPE (Commonly known by the trade name of Hypalon) suffered failure as a result of attack by algae.
3. They exclude damage to the insulation.
4. They do not seem to back their "Authorized" installers" if yo read the warranty. I would be very leery if your roof was not inspected by a manufacturers trained technician that probed every seam on your roof.
5 Their warranty does not include the labor to remove or replace the roof.

At the end of the day you have what I refer to as a "Kodak Film Warranty"

If you go on a Safari to Africa and risk your life to take a great picture of a lion with her cubs and the film turns out to be bad, they give you a new roll of film, nothing else. Its the same as your roof warranty.

Now this might be hard to swallow, but knowing what I do after having spent about 35 years in roofing, I would have had the roofer install tapered thermal insulation, a coverboard in nail one, mop one fashion, and a good three or four ply Built up roof with type 3 asphalt and type 4 glass felt with white chip gravel surfacing. A properly installed BUR beats a single ply roof any day of the week, and twice on Sundays, Especially if it drains well.

The key word here is properly installed, and that takes a professional commercial low slope roofing contractor that knows his business, not a shingle banging cross over steep roofer, which many single ply roofers are.

As far as warranties go, I have never seen that piece of paper keep water out of a building, regardless of what it says, and roof system warranties are written by Philadelphia Lawyers hired by the manufacturer of the roofing product.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post

Just my opinion, I could be wrong
But it sounds like you probably are not wrong.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote