Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #1

Share |

Soffits and attic ventilation

Hey Guys,

I'm about to work on my attic and soffits to reduce the attic temperature. My soffits are 28" wide and my house is about 2800sf. I can only see about 4 vents (mostly in the corners) in the soffits, so I was wondering if this is enough? I will be replacing all of the soffits, fascias and gutters in the near future, so wanted to check if I should install more vents in the soffits? If so, is there a minimum spacing between them, and/or certain places I should put them?

As the attic is very hot, I'm going to add more blown-in insulation. I have about 3-4 inches at the moment. I cannot see any baffles in the attic, so I will install these before I blow the insulation in. I'm also considering installing vents on the roof - link. Not sure if this is good enough for my needs?

I have an attached double space garage. This is not part of the attic, so I will have to install something in here as well. Should I use the same one? When I install them, is there a certain location I should be placing them (more efficient)?

I really appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

mikiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #2

The recommended amount of venting is 1 sq ft per 300ft of attic. Note this is not the sq ft of you house unless it is only 1 story. If you are replacing the soffit you could just put in the ones that are perforated continuously rather than cutting and putting in vents. Mostly a appearance thing so.

The is a lot of discussion if power vents are good or bad, pretty much related to if they suck air though the ceiling and what airflow does to insulation ratings.

Don't spend a lot on this you are better off spending the money on more insulation first.

bill01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Pictures of both the outside and inside the attic will elicit more responses.

+1 to bill's feedback too.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #4

Where are you located?

http://www.joelstiburek.com/topten/south.htm

Gary
P.S. Welcome to the forums!
TarheelTerp (06-03-2012)