Soffits - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

soffits

Last week I had people out to install gutters, and they told me that the trim piece that is nailed on the top of the main soffit board has to be removed for the gutters to be installed properly. I removed that trim piece today. I now have up to an inch and a quarter gap between the top of the main soffit board, and the bottom of the plywood on the roof.

Should I cut little scrap pieces of wood and nail them up to fill this gap in? I called the gutter guy, and he told me it was no big deal. I realize that the gutters will cover up the gap asthetically, but I am wondering if it is an issue I should address anyway.

Thanks for any input.

Ryan

Advertisement

nikotromus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 152

soffits

The gutter installer I use,as probably most others will agree,would make the same request.
As long as the plywood decking(of at least at least 1/2 "thick) extended over the top of the trim that you removed,than the drip edge will have enough support.
The only other concern may be that the run off will shoot past the top of the gutter once the gutter is fastened tight to the facia.This will depend on the pitch of the roof,the amount of run off,and how the gutter is installed.

Advertisement

oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

soffits

That exposed extension of plywood decking going past the fasci board so much, wil probably wind up wicking and soaking up water by being exposed from the underside and will rot away after a few years.

A better solution would be to install another 1" x 4" or 1" x 6" fascia board where the gutters are going to get installed to build out the difference.

Gutter installers do not see the problems left behind, but roofers do. I do both, so have both perspectives in mind when making suggestions.

Also, paint the boards before installing them as it will be much easier in the garage or the yard, than nailed to the house.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 152

soffits

Good point Ed,
Especially in an area that gets snow and where an ice filled gutter can hold the moisture up against the plywood for an extended length of time.

On most of our jobs we're installing aluminum facia and will bend a return at the top to cover the exposed face of the plywood.
Adding the aluminum facia will eliminate the need to remove the gutters for future painting.
So many times we have removed the gutters and had to replace the facia because it had pealed and was never repainted with the house.

You can also use Azek (http://www.azek.com/) in lieu of any wood 1"x4 "or 1"x6"
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote