Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Soffit vents installed?

Hello - We had a new roof and gutters installed last fall. Early summer I noticed the attic vent fan was running a lot - thermostat was set for around 110F - old fan & the motor burned out - I installed a new fan, thermo @ 115F & it also seems to run a lot. Reading on line - I know the roofers added a ridge vent - I can see that - but sitting in the dark attic I only see random light coming threw where soffit vents should be. Other than removing the continuous soffit covers is there a way to tell if they 'forgot' the soffit vents? And how much soffit venting do you need? The attic floor is 40X20 ft. The temperature in the attic seems to be about 20+ degrees hotter than the outside temperature.
Thanks.

dkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Soffit vents installed?

the light is an indication of vented soffits,usually a 8" x 16" hole every 4 ft is good,or a 1 1/2" continuous slot,attic only 20 degrees hotter than outside is not bad at all

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Soffit vents installed?

You have a fan and a ridge vent? That's the problem right there! www.airvent.com www.rollvent.com

What is happenign is ventilation short circuit. Think like a fan for a second. When the fan is on what is it supposed to do? Suck air. The fan chooses the path of least resistance. It should suck air from the eave intake but if there is a closer source for air it will take it from that source. Simple laws of physics.

So what is happening is the fan is sucking air in throught he ridge vent that is probably 1-2' away from it. It then exhausts that air and sucks it right back in through the ridge vent. YOu have a nasty constant loop going on... and a roofer who doesn't understand the dynamics of attic ventilation.

Remove the ridge vent OR remove the fan and check your overhangs to make sure you have proper intake. You may have to remove one or two vented soffit panels just to make sure the installers actually cut openings. There are rules of thumb at the websites I posted, and as TRG posted above continuous intake is better.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,030

Soffit vents installed?

A note on Grumpy's post. RV is meant as an outlet. The fan sucking ir into it has probably clogged the vent filter by now. Ed and others have posted pics of these clogged vents. You may have to replace the RV if you get rid of the fan. Without a detailed inspection by a pro, it's hard to advise you fully.

BTW, was there any light coming from the RV?
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Soffit vents installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkat View Post
Hello - We had a new roof and gutters installed last fall. Early summer I noticed the attic vent fan was running a lot - thermostat was set for around 110F - old fan & the motor burned out - I installed a new fan, thermo @ 115F & it also seems to run a lot. Reading on line - I know the roofers added a ridge vent - I can see that - but sitting in the dark attic I only see random light coming threw where soffit vents should be. Other than removing the continuous soffit covers is there a way to tell if they 'forgot' the soffit vents? And how much soffit venting do you need? The attic floor is 40X20 ft. The temperature in the attic seems to be about 20+ degrees hotter than the outside temperature.
Thanks.
20* warmer in the attic than the external temperatures is not out of line and actually is quite cool.

I believe that the thermostat needs to be set around 130*, or else the motors will burn out.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Soffit vents installed?

good catch on the rv existing,I answered late evening,early am,and didn`t pick up on the rv being there

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Soffit vents installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkat View Post
Hello - We had a new roof and gutters installed last fall. Early summer I noticed the attic vent fan was running a lot - thermostat was set for around 110F - old fan & the motor burned out - I installed a new fan, thermo @ 115F & it also seems to run a lot.

Set the thermostat to 130* or else it will burn out the motor.

Reading on line - I know the roofers added a ridge vent - I can see that - but sitting in the dark attic I only see random light coming threw where soffit vents should be. Other than removing the continuous soffit covers is there a way to tell if they 'forgot' the soffit vents?

Poke a scratch awl through the vent perforations in the aluminum soffit panels to see if the wood was cut away.

And how much soffit venting do you need? The attic floor is 40X20 ft. The temperature in the attic seems to be about 20+ degrees hotter than the outside temperature.

40 x 20 = 800 square feet

Minimum Total NFVA = 800 divided by 300 = 2.667 square feet

Convert to Square Inches = 2.667 x 144 sq in = 384 square inches of venting needed. Vented Soffit Panels deliver between 6 sq in to 9 sq in per square foot of vented panel, if they are not clogged or painted over and if the wood is completely cut away from the old wooden existing soffits before the aluminum panels were installed.

The better and more useful formula requires the 800 sq ft to be divided by 150, which would require you to double the amount of ventilation required. The 1/300 formula is only if you have a balanced ventilation system, with 1/2 from intake and 1/2 out through the exhaust.

Nearly everyone needs much more than they currently have.

Thanks.
Please read the inserted notes in your quote.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Soffit vents installed?

Thanks for the Info -
The company that did the roof also did the gutters - which have some issues & called for a fix on them (the gutters) - new guy w/ the company, he's there 'fixit guy' - short story - asked him about the roof & vents. He crawled in the attic to the soffits, no vents cut.
The guy said they'd have to take off all the soffit vent covers & cut holes & he couldn't make that call. He'd need to talk to the owner.
Once the vents are cut - I should cover up the gable vents? And no fan.
And a roofer should know this.

ps - thanks Grumpy - I have the Roll Vent! (& specs to give the guy!)

dkat is offline   Reply With Quote