Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
LDO

Rewards Points: 10

Soffit Vents

First, I apologize if my terminology is wrong and the lack of pictures. I will post some as soon as the weather lets up a bit. OK, on to my question. I just bought this house and it has a 12 x 14 workshop out back. When I went up to the attic storage inside the structure, I can see some sections of insulation between the beams but I can also see daylight thru the soffits. I went around and made sure that the vent sections were properly in place but is there something else that's supposed to be in there to form a barrier? My concern is squirrels and such getting into the building.

Thanks.

LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Soffit Vents

Chances are, you're seeing the light coming through the soffit vents (on the soffit, or underside of the roof's overhang). That's a good thing! They're louvered and normally have insect screening in them to keep critters from getting into the attic.

The soffit vents are 1/2 of the roof's ventilation system. The other half would be ridge, roof, or gable vents toward the top of a roof. Since there are high and low vents, cross ventilation of the roof is occurring (hopefully).

You definately don't want to block the area between the rafters and ceiling joists where the soffit vents are located. They're not just venting the soffit, they've venting the whole roof.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
LDO

Soffit Vents

Thanks KC, yes, there were no obvious holes just the daylight comming in from the vents. I've noticed that there is good ventilation in the workshop as it's usually pretty cool inside the shop. I guess I just have to make sure the soffit vent sections are properly snapped in place. I didn't see any insect or 'critter' screening material though. Perhaps I should add some and that would keep any unwanted tennants out of my shop while not affecting the ventilation inside the roof.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Soffit Vents

If you can remove the soffit vents...Depending on what type they are....You should be able to add some screening to keep wasps and such out. If they're the 8x16 rectangular ones, they cost about a buck each, so replacement might be easier.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Soffit Vents

Post a photo of the type of soffit vents you have in place now.

The screening decreases the NFVA, (Net Free Ventilation Area), of the product in half.

You may not need to be concerned.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
LDO

Soffit Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Post a photo of the type of soffit vents you have in place now.

The screening decreases the NFVA, (Net Free Ventilation Area), of the product in half.

You may not need to be concerned.

Ed

Ed,
will-do as soon as the weather lets up a bit. Thanks.