Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

soffit vents

Part of my house - a 1970s addition - has 2" holes in the siding between the rafter tails. These vent the attic and are covered on the inside with rabbit wire. Varmints have chewed through that wire and rather than attach new wire on the exterior (I cannot access that tight angle from the attic) I want to pop in those little galvanized soffit vents. Will these allow for enough airflow? Thanks

gulleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 108

soffit vents

Sure sounds like you do not have near enough now.
Got a picture?
Is there also a gable or ridge vent?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

soffit vents

Addition is 20 x 34'. Has two gable vents and 18 of the 2" holes. This is in southern California. A one-story ranch, 50's vintage.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #4

soffit vents

18 x 2" holes is not a lot of NFA (net free area). Normally you would see the bird hole vents between every rafter bay. The vents will work OK, I would just install more of them.
AtticFoil.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #5

soffit vents

So triple the number and the metal vents will be OK. Have I got that right?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #6

soffit vents

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve? Remove moisture or reduce heat gain? It takes a lot more ventilation to reduce heat gain in the Summer, than to remove moisture in the Winter.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 108

soffit vents

Without that picture so we can see what your dealing with it's had to say.
Anything I build gets full soffit venting and a ridge vent if it's a gable roof.
Those tiny vents are like trying to suck on a straw with a kink in it. Just not enough draw.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

soffit vents

Those little circular vents are pretty much worthless IMHO. This subject has been broached continuously on this forum. You want to have full, continuous eaves ventilation, and full ridge ventilation provided by a good ridge vent. The stuff that comes in a roll does not cut it.

There is a lot of atmospheric dirt in the air, regardless of where you live, and convection will pull that dirt up into your soffits, cutting down your eaves ventilation by about half in 6 months or so, regardless of type.

18 of those round things, if they are actually 2 inches provides .4 sq. feet of ventilation. Does less than half a sq. foot of ventilation sound like enough?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

soffit vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Those little circular vents are pretty much worthless IMHO.
I pretty much agree. The challenge with an open rafter construction is it's not easy to create a "perfect" ventilation system without a significant remodel. I think we agree he needs more intake vents, it's just a question of "how". Other option I have seen that works well given his circumstance is to cut a slot in the blocking between the rafters about 2" x 14". Then, install a narrow 4" x 16" soffit vent. Assuming it is behind the drip edge the water will stay out. A few of these will provide much more NFA than the bird vents.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #10

soffit vents

I did the same thing this past weekend. The intake venting at my soffits were lacking (one 2" hole/3" pipe into the attic every second bay, the rest stuffed solid with batts).

I pulled down the aluminum soffits that were installed on top of the old cedar, removed all the old cedar boards, installed those foam rafter vents and reinstalled the vented aluminum. I'm hoping that it makes a big difference.
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #11

soffit vents

"It really depends on what you are trying to achieve?" I'm trying to achieve, piecemeal and on a tight budget, a less bad house. Replacing rusted gutters led to replacing rotted fascia led to discovering rodent access led to learning that my attic ventilation is grossly inadequate. Also replacing the lateral waste line to the sewer at the same time. And painting the whole place. Tomorrow will bring another problem/chore.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

soffit vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulleyj View Post
"It really depends on what you are trying to achieve?" I'm trying to achieve, piecemeal and on a tight budget, a less bad house. Replacing rusted gutters led to replacing rotted fascia led to discovering rodent access led to learning that my attic ventilation is grossly inadequate. Also replacing the lateral waste line to the sewer at the same time. And painting the whole place. Tomorrow will bring another problem/chore.
Welcome to the wonderful world of home ownership. All homes are like Galvanized plumbing, you fix it here, and it breaks over there.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote