Soffit Venting For Aluminum Sofits - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Soffit Venting for Aluminum Sofits

I have a problem with a very hot attic. I do not have enough roof or sofit venting... I Plan to install some roof vent this weekend.

My house has aluminum sofit vents... However they are the punched type and are spaced out about every 8ft or so... I don't think they provide enough air flow, plus I think they might be plugged with blown in insulation...

I cannot get close enough to the soffit from the attic because there is not enough room... So i do not know how I would clean out any insulation that is down there. How do I add more vents? I figured the best way to clean out the vent would be to take them down from the outside... and while I was at that... I could add some additional vents.

So how to I take those soffits down? Also, without damaging the aluminum facia covering that partially wraps around the edge?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

kevn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Look up my UserName and for "Posts" that I mention Smart Vent.

It is perfect for under-ventilated Intake Ventilation situations, without having to disturb your soffits at all.

It is a Shingle Over Style Fresh Air Intake Vent, which is tapered and gets installed along the bottom of the roof deck after you remove the old shingles.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi, Thanks I have never heard of smart vent Before.

However, at the moment I do not think that will help me much since my roof is fairly new and I do not want to go ripping it up. I will consider it for when I actually tear off the roof.

I need advice on putting in more soffit venting. Should I cut the Aluminum and put up regular sofit vents? should I try to take the sofits apart and put in more punched style vents?

Does anyone one else have any other ideas?

Thanks
kevn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

if you have soffits overhangs then cut an opening with a circular saw from end to end about 2" wide or more if you like. Then clad the whole overhang with custom bent aluminum on the fascia and a hidden vent vinyl soffit system. Or you can do aluminum soffit with a vented panel abotu every 5' or so.

Unlike Ed I am not at all a fan of smart vent, nor most intake products on the market. The other thing we have done where there is no overhang to create intake is to create a false fascia and make the whole fascia a continuious intake vent.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat , insulation , ridge , soffit , ventilation