Soffit Vent Retrofit - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Soffit vent retrofit

My house was built in 1980, and has beautiful aluminum soffit. However, there appears to be no venting in the soffit. Is it possible, or practical to remove some soffit panels and replace them with vented soffit? Would I have to remove the gutters and facia to do this?
thanks

Advertisement

hage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Soffit vent retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hage1 View Post
My house was built in 1980, and has beautiful aluminum soffit. However, there appears to be no venting in the soffit. Is it possible, or practical to remove some soffit panels and replace them with vented soffit? Would I have to remove the gutters and facia to do this?
thanks
It's absolutely possible and kudos for wanting to.

Getting a few pieces out from the soffit run is going to be harder than taking them all out and replacing them, but adding vented pcs where needed. You shouldn't need to remove fascia/gutters, as the metal covering the fascia board is likely what holds the soffit up on the outer edge. You'll understand once you take some apart.

Then you go into the attic and make sure the rafter bay that corresponds with the vent you installed has a baffle of some type so air can get past the top plate.

Advertisement

jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmiller For This Useful Post:
hage1 (01-28-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,010

Soffit vent retrofit

Vinyl Perf Soffit over Wood - No Vents

Gary

Tags
roof , soffit , soffit vent