Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #1

Share |

Soffit vent hack job?

What to do now?

Hired a roofing contractor to remove existing vinyl soffits and cut new vent openings, then put vinyl back in place; also reattach siding coming away from top of gable, and fill nail holes left along ridge vent by previous contractor. Planning for new vinyl siding in a few years.

1960 ranch, center cathedral ceiling, roof had been replaced prior to purchase, ridge vent was nailed shut. Mold on sheathing and ice dams on north side. Had ridge vent replaced with ShingleVent II. Poked at soffits with broom handle, seemed there were no vents.

Got three estimates, checked Angies List, company had a good rep.

Had to loan them an extension ladder. Seemed they didn't know how to take the vinyl down. Had to cut one section up to figure it out, replaced with different style. Started on front of home, not rear where would have been less noticeable. Dirty handprints on much of the trim and vinyl. No measuring or calculation of size of vent openings, just cut. No attempt to move items or cover new mulch under area prior to starting work. Swept but left dirt all over window and door sills.

Main section of home, soffit was plywood with four small rectangular vents for 40' length, all clogged with mouse droppings. Front section and garage, soffit was drywall (!) with no vents. So work was definitely needed.

But now there are huge, sloppy, unscreened holes.

Only J channel on gable was reattached using same nails that had come loose. Siding was not unzipped and renailed, is still loose. Did not fill nail holes along ridge vent, but still on invoice handed to me at end of job.

What would you do? Haven't paid $900 bill yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Soffit vent hack job?-tn_dsc04052.jpg   Soffit vent hack job?-tn_dsc04057.jpg   Soffit vent hack job?-tn_dsc04060.jpg   Soffit vent hack job?-tn_dsc04079.jpg   Soffit vent hack job?-tn_dsc04069.jpg  

Soffit vent hack job?-tn_dsc04073.jpg  

Last edited by whiteroses; 06-07-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: left out one photo
whiteroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #2

Soffit vent hack job?

Why would they need to measure the openings?
As long as it got cut out that's all that matters.
I'm not seeing any nails in the soffit material to keep it from sagging.
Having to lend them a ladder and tell them how to get it off would have been enough for me to send them on there way.
Not sure I would have hired a roofer to do this type of job.
I'm not seeing where the fashia was bent 1-1/4 to support the soffit.
Where's the j moulding on the side of the wall to hold it up?
I show up for a job like that and I have tarps, trash cans, a face shield or goggles for cutting over head.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #3

Soffit vent hack job?

They arrived with 1 stepladder and 2 men, I loaned them an extension ladder for the rear gable and roof holes work.

No tarps, trash cans, face shields or goggles.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Soffit vent hack job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteroses View Post
Hired a roofing contractor...
Had to loan them an extension ladder.
Seemed they didn't know how to

What would you do? Haven't paid $900 bill yet.
1) Don't pay a penny.
2) Find an actual contractor (license, insurance, references, etc).
Or at least a self respecting carpenter who owns his own ladder.

fwiw: I've had this same basic job on my list for over a year now. Th only guy I've confident about using was the roofer (nice guy too) who will coming here before winter.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 06-07-2013 at 11:54 AM.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #5

Soffit vent hack job?

This is an "actual" contractor, in business since 1980's, Angie's List Super Service Awards for 2010-2012, 99 reviews there. The foreman on this job has been with him for 15 yrs. Hard to believe, given the way the work was done, and the way he argued with me and refused to do the work the way that had been discussed with the owner.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #6

Soffit vent hack job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why would they need to measure the openings?
As long as it got cut out that's all that matters.
If I'm paying a supposedly experienced contractor $100 an hour, why can't I expect proper calculation of the hole size required to vent properly, and evenly spaced, straight cut holes?
Old 06-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Soffit vent hack job?

Anyone know how much it costs to buy an "Angies List Super Contractor" award per year?

You have got to be kidding me. A contractor without a ladder, a ruler, or a clue.

Joe, can I borrow your ladder? I had to sell mine so I had money to get on the list.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
Architectural Sculptor

Soffit vent hack job?

LOL "Angies list" oh geez, that sounds about one notch above finding their business card on the bulletin board at the local bar or supermarket.

Any idiot can start a web based "list" like Craig's list and "Angie's list" just look at this and see how one can circumvent:
Quote:
Businesses don't pay

Businesses are rated on the List only when a member submits a report. Angie's List is a consumer-driven service supported by membership fees.
So they have a friend or relative submit a report and rave about how great their roof was done.

Quote:
Certified data collection process prevents companies and providers from reporting on themselves or their competitors.
Just as laughable, like how hard is it to get your brother in law or golf buddy to submit a report for a couple of 6 packs of beer?

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Soffit vent hack job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
LOL "Angies list" oh geez, that sounds about one notch above finding their business card on the bulletin board at the local bar or supermarket.

Any idiot can start a web based "list" like Craig's list and "Angie's list" just look at this and see how one can circumvent:

So they have a friend or relative submit a report and rave about how great their roof was done.

Just as laughable, like how hard is it to get your brother in law or golf buddy to submit a report for a couple of 6 packs of beer?
Well WOlf, I wish I was an "idiot" like Angie is. That lady must be rolling in cash. She has adds on prime time TV now.

All about perceived value and fear. Just like the insurance companies. They try to scare the crap out of you as to what will happen to your loved ones if you die. and they actually give you the idea that your life will be improved by having less disposable cash.

What I would like to know is, if somebody comes in and screws up say, your roof, is good ole Angie gonna hop into her pickemup and head over to your place and fix your roof? Or even cause it to be fixed?

Let me say this, and you tell me if it isnt true:

Good contractors are busy all the time by word of mouth. They don't have to pay to get added to somebodies list, and in most cases if you want them to do your work, you will have to wait for them, because they are busy. Period.

Oh, and when they do show up, they will have their own ladder.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (06-08-2013), r0ckstarr (06-07-2013), RWolff (06-07-2013), ThatDaveGuy (06-09-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
Metal Roofing

Soffit vent hack job?

I am confused.

Is the pic at the bottom right the completed job ?

Did all the "precisely cut soffits" get covered like in the last pic at the bottom?

I cant figure out whats new, whats old and whats in progress.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
MarginallyQualified

Soffit vent hack job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRS View Post
I am confused.
Is the pic at the bottom right the completed job ?
I believe that is as far as it got before the OP sent them packing.
The next guy gets to fix it.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Lord of Slums

Soffit vent hack job?

This maybe some sort of joke post. I have seen posts like this around the beginning of April on other forums. Wanted to burrow a ladder, then proceeded to hack the heck out of your house. I am sorry, I can not believe things have gotten this bad in the world. This borders a criminal mischief charge. I would call the police if this post is real.

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote