DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Soffit Install

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bud9051 
#1 ·
Recently we had new siding and roof put on our home. At this time we also wanted new soffit installed. I believe when the contractor did this work on my home for the soffit he did not remove the old soffit but rather installed the new one over the old if this is possible changing the color like I wanted from tan to white. At the time we had the roof done as well we have the contractor also install additional roof vents. The problem is we are now in the process of selling our home and the inspection has come back that there is mold in the attic. If the contractor did install, which I don't know if it is possible, the new soffit over the old soffit I would think we have improper ventilation now possibly causing the mold issue??? The bottom line is we have to have the issue corrected but am curious if the contractor's negligence caused the issue to arise?

#5 ·
Where all going to have to guess what they did, no ones there to see it and there no pictures and sounds like no one took the time to pull anything apart to see what's going on.
If I have to go over old plywood soffits I take the time to remove them instead, then go with at least center vented new ones.
No way can you have to much venting.
Have to agree with PatChap venting a bathroom or a dryer out a soffit is a really bad idea.

Reactions: CompleteW&D
#6 ·
Where all going to have to guess what they did, no ones there to see it and there no pictures and sounds like no one took the time to pull anything apart to see what's going on.
If I have to go over old plywood soffits I take the time to remove them instead, then go with at least center vented new ones.
No way can you have to much venting.
Have to agree with PatChap venting a bathroom or a dryer out a soffit is a really bad idea.
I third this advice.... that moist air is being drawn right back up into your attic. Plus, the old aluminum up there is worth a lot of $$$ to the installing contractor when sold as scrap. No competent contractor would leave it up there and simply go over it with new....

#3 ·
Sorry my construction knowledge is lacking but they would have covered the old aluminum soffits with just a new white aluminum soffit. One area in particular though I noticed of course after the fact is by the bathroom where we had a fan vent pipe in the old soffit that no longer shows through the new white aluminum soffit. So my concern would be whatever little slot vents were in the old aluminum no longer lineup up with the new aluminum, thus possibly causing a ventilation issue?

#4 ·
Really unlikely they won't over aluminum with aluminum. If they did, it would very rough and uneven, you would notice just from how bad it would look.
They might have rerouted the fan vent through the roof, which is a much better place for it.
With the fan venting out to your soffit, the soffit can draw that warm moist air right back into your attic.

#7 ·
You need to or have someone check to see where that bath fan is being exhausted. If it was vented OUT the soffit, that was bad, but at least pointed out. If they covered it and it is now essentially venting into the attic that is unacceptable. Check to see if the mold they saw is in the vicinity of that or other exhaust vents.

What other venting is present in the attic, gable vents, ridge vents, and or roof vents. Did anyone attempt to calculate the recommended ventilation for high and low vents?

Bud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.