Soffit And Fascia Install - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Soffit and Fascia Install

My house looks a lot like the one pictured here.

The paint on the exposed rafters is old and flaking off, but the rafters are generally in good condition. The siding on the house is cement stucco.

Can I install F-channel against the stucco and F-channel to the bottom/ends of the rafters? Or do I need to install a sub-fascia board to the ends of the rafters first?

My concern is that any sub-fascia board would push the finish fascia beyond the end of the drip-edge flashing already installed under the roof shingles. Can I use two opposing f-channels and then a finish fascia to cover the rafter ends? I'm just not sure if the rafter f-channel would require additional support between rafters.

One option would be to install some 1X pressure treated blocking at the ends of the rafters to nail the soffit into.

Another option is to trim off 1" from the tips of the rafters with a sawzall and put up a continuous strip of 1X Pressure treated as a nailing strip. This is the option I'm leaning towards.

Finally, are there any soffit/fascia systems that are available at the big box stores you have used and can recommend?

Thanks!

Advertisement

atxjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I stopped by Big Box #1 and they don't stock this stuff, no options for special order. Big Box Chain #2 I can special order but only by the carton, so I'll get about 2X the material I need.

Any suggestions on where I can get this stuff would be great. It doesn't seem like a hard DIY project if I can source the material.

I'm looking for this stuff.

Advertisement

atxjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Go to a lumber yard.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

Lowes stocks the stuff.

Look at this for the installation. http://www.vinylsiding.org/publicati...ion_Manual.pdf

Tags
fasica , soffit