Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
krx

Rewards Points: 10

soffit or eave?

Alright, I know I'm asking for it w/this question, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out:

What is the difference between a soffit and an eave? I live in a 2 story victorian farmhouse w/gabled roof overhanging the perimeter walls about 2 feet. The t&g boarding on the underside of the section extending beyond the walls has some rain damage. I'm trying to figure out if this part is the soffit or the eave.

I figured roofers would be the guys to ask.

krx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

soffit or eave?

From Webster's New World Dictionary, Third College Edition:

soffit n. 1 The horizontal underside of an eave, cornice, etc.

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
krx

Rewards Points: 10

soffit or eave?

Thanks Aaron. I too looked it up - I also googled it and checked the encyclopedia. According to Webster's definition, my rain damage is on the soffit. But I've also heard this term used to describe the entire enclosure created in/by the part of the roof that extends horizontally beyond the wall. So, in that case, the whole overhanging section is the soffit. Also, I've had a couple contractors refer to the "damaged eaves" not soffit, when looking at the rain damage on my house. I've also heard the stud and drywall enclosures sometimes built around HVAC ducts (like in finished basements) referred to as "soffits" - which would support the idea that a soffit is (or can be) an enclosure. Thus my confusion...

Argh.
krx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

soffit or eave?

I believe I call the Eave is the part where the fascia meets the roofline (where the roof edge goes). The soffit is everything underneath the fascia to the wall.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote