Soffit Or Eave? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10

soffit or eave?

Alright, I know I'm asking for it w/this question, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out:

What is the difference between a soffit and an eave? I live in a 2 story victorian farmhouse w/gabled roof overhanging the perimeter walls about 2 feet. The t&g boarding on the underside of the section extending beyond the walls has some rain damage. I'm trying to figure out if this part is the soffit or the eave.

I figured roofers would be the guys to ask.


krx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing
AaronB's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 927
Rewards Points: 500

From Webster's New World Dictionary, Third College Edition:

soffit n. 1 The horizontal underside of an eave, cornice, etc.


__________________ Free inspection within 12 miles
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Aaron. I too looked it up - I also googled it and checked the encyclopedia. According to Webster's definition, my rain damage is on the soffit. But I've also heard this term used to describe the entire enclosure created in/by the part of the roof that extends horizontally beyond the wall. So, in that case, the whole overhanging section is the soffit. Also, I've had a couple contractors refer to the "damaged eaves" not soffit, when looking at the rain damage on my house. I've also heard the stud and drywall enclosures sometimes built around HVAC ducts (like in finished basements) referred to as "soffits" - which would support the idea that a soffit is (or can be) an enclosure. Thus my confusion...

krx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 938
Rewards Points: 500

I believe I call the Eave is the part where the fascia meets the roofline (where the roof edge goes). The soffit is everything underneath the fascia to the wall.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soffit Vent Sizing - Really Hot Attic dmo069 Roofing/Siding 7 12-04-2008 09:33 PM
Another Ridge Vent, Gable vent and soffit question (??) davco Roofing/Siding 2 04-30-2007 11:14 PM
Aluminum Soffit and Fascia Installation... MoparAutoworks Building & Construction 1 12-17-2006 07:46 AM
Installing Soffit and Facia??? Vikeologist Roofing/Siding 3 11-15-2006 05:01 PM
Soffit installation question milano Roofing/Siding 4 02-04-2006 10:13 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1