Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2008, 03:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

soffats

dear members please 4give me if this has been posted in the wrong place as i am new to this site.

Last december i had all new white plastic soffits and gutters fitted

since having installed all around the edges of the bungalow at ceiling level is covered with blcak mildew and continues to grow at first i thoought it was due to condensation and kept opening all the windows, but because of the severity beleive it is down to the soffats.

There is no ventilation grills on the undersides but when i went up into the attic i can see the loft insualtion had been peeled back and tons of daylight surrounding the installation

Therefore my conclusion is such the roof area is being flooded with cold air and the internal heat is building up causing the problems. which should not be happening

During installation roof tiles were lifted up and the plastic guards attached were inserted under the tiles.
surely soffats are not supposed to cause damp and wonder if anyone else has experienced this or any techno bods can give advice

Many thanks

greatdaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

soffats

First off, you posted in the right forum. But I am going to move it over to the ROOFING FORUM. There are some very knowledgable experts over there on roofing/attic ventilation.

My 2 cents:

I'm trying to understand what you are saying.

Pictures would help.

Attic: You should have sufficient insulation in your joist bays, however, you should also have open ventilation at you soffit eaves. Do your have soffit ventilation, or are your soffits closed off?

If you do have some kind of ventilation there, you would see daylight, if looking towards the eave locations from your attic.

There are also other factors that can contribute to excess moisture in Attics and connected interior roof areas. Read up:

Helpful links:

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/ventilation.htm

http://oikos.com/esb/30/atticvent.html

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...fattfan3a.html

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-26-2008 at 08:11 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #3

soffats

thank you for your prompt reply
my soffats are closed witn no ventilation grills. after reading your response i removed some of the lower concrete roof tiles to get a better look.
there is like sections of a black guards that get inserted under the old roofing felt . I asume this is for the water to run off the tiles into the gutter.
Whilst exploring up in the attic where the roof trusts taper of and rests on the brickwork, i noted all the blanket insulation has been moved and not bedded in tight between the rafters therefore any droughts can enter freely from under the gutter.

my concerns were so, if i was to pad out the area were the droughts are comimng from would this cause problems with proper ventilation, or is it ok to pad the gaps. All i know since having the soffats fitted the house is much colder then b4. I was able to insert my arm and tap on the celings from outside.

i will uplaod a pic once i suss out how to do that
cheers

I
Old 01-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #4

soffats

those links you gave me were very imformative and get me a much better perception of ventalation, which left me wondering whether my roof space is suffiecently insulated. some thing i can discuss with my local energy centre
many thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

soffats

AT THE FASCIA EAVE,YOU SHOULD HAVE A FLASHING THAT STARTS ON THE SHEATHING(ROOF) AND GOES DOWN BEHIND THE GUTTER(typically a 3x3),This will prevent gutter backup of ice and/or water into your soffit area,which in turn can wet the ceiling edge,and run down your bearing wall,along with this you should also use ice and water shield sealed to the top of the aforementioned flashing and running a minimum of 2 ft. past the interior bearing wall--this is usually the problem---today we also vent the soffit,make sure you have proper insulation that covers the bearing wall(with a raftermate channel to assure air flow from soffit to attic),and the complement to this system would be a form of continuous ridge ventilation for proper breathing

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote