Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Snow inside unused Chimney

Hi,

Our home has a chimney that has been "closed off" since aprox. 1988.

I was up there making sure my ridge vent was not being blocked by snow and decided to take a look down there... There is a bit of snow build-up. I a chimney has been "sealed off" aren't they supposed to put a cap or something on top so nothing gets in there? I can get some photos of the inside of the chimney if needed...

I've seen chimneys with like a blue garbage bag over them. Is this safe as a temp solution?

What is the proper procedure for properly sealing off a roof?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers!

Eric.

earthad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #2

As long as the chimney is not being used to exhaust any furnace gases a bag would work as a Temp solution

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
As long as the chimney is not being used to exhaust any furnace gases a bag would work as a Temp solution
There used to be a wood stove in the basement but that is long gone. The metal pipe that feeds out to the flu is simply stuffed with insulation.

Shouldn't there be like a cap or something that could simply fit over the opening I could buy?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #4

Chimneys are usually all different sizes, but there are some standard size pipes/clay inserts
I have 3 different clay inserts as part of my chimney - big cap over everything

You may be able to find something that is pre-made
Old 01-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #5

Here is a shot of the pipe from the basement that goes out to the flue. You can see in the top left-hand corner that there is a little water there.

Here is a view down the chimney from the roof.

A closer shot of the snow sitting down there:

I just placed a green back tightly using zip ties. Looks like I'll need to hire a mason to come and fix the degradation of the mortar, brick and cement.

One side where I noticed a crack

Another side with cracks:

Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Looks like I'll need to hire a mason to come and fix the degradation of the mortar, brick and cement.
Ayuh,... If it's Unused,... You can knock it down, below roof level,+ reroof right over the hole left by it's absence...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #7

For me having a fireplace in a cold climate is a plus
I did not want a house without one, unless it was setup for a wood stove
It looks to be in fairly good shape - worth keeping
I would seal the top & bottom to prevent air/heat loss
Old 01-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #8

Yea, if the thing worked it would be a huge plus. Nothing like a wood-burning stove on a cold winter night.

How would I seal it up from the other end with the intent of using it down the line? Right now there is just batten insulation shoved into the pipe going out to the chimney where the stove attaches.

Apparently, from what the Realtor told me, the previous owner stated that she's never used it, and the wood stove was not there when she bought the place in 1988.

I definitely want to keep it and get some use out of it. Just no $$$ for something like that at the moment and it's not urgent.

I'd like to just get it maintained for the moment, then down the line, get the clay insert removed (I don't think it was built properly) and have a metal chimney inserted.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #9

Hello,

Your actual flue looks to be in great shape. From the pictures I don't see any cracks on the interior. I believe that you have a build up of frost inside, this could be caused by the heat loss around the stuffed insulation.
As far as a cap... You can measure the outer width and depth and go to Lowes or HD and purchase a cap for around $100+(I think).

Keith
roofboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofboy View Post
Hello,

Your actual flue looks to be in great shape. From the pictures I don't see any cracks on the interior. I believe that you have a build up of frost inside, this could be caused by the heat loss around the stuffed insulation.
As far as a cap... You can measure the outer width and depth and go to Lowes or HD and purchase a cap for around $100+(I think).

Keith
I bet you're right about the heat loss. All they did literally was stuff the pipe where the stove connected with batten.

I wonder why they just decided not to use it? I always thought it may have been due to faulty construction... But to be honest, I really don't know. I supposed I could get a Chimney pro to come in and advise if I'm able to use this safely or not...

Thanks for the advice on the cap... I will measure and go grab one.