Snow And Ice Shield Over Rolled Roof? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Snow and Ice Shield Over Rolled Roof?

My addition is 15 x 25 and has a 1:12 pitch. I currently have rolled
roofing and have coated it once. It is about 13 years old and does not
leak. I am considering covering it completely with snow and ice shield.
Is it acceptable to apply the shield over the roof in its current
condition? What can I put over the shield to protect it? I am considering
Tamko heritage 50 year shingles, which has a strip of seal to help
prevent wind blow-off. When I first bought the place, it had shingles, which
did not blow off.

Advertisement

Basic_Homeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 586

Rolled roofing is used on roofs that have a pitch less than 4/12. To use regular 3 tab or fake shakes you must have a steeper pitch for the water to properly run off.

Why do you want to cover the roof with ice and water? It is not the final application and would need to be covered with shingles or rolled roofing in your case.

Advertisement

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #3

the contractor is saying this will last the life of the shingles (40-50 years). Considering rolled roof lasts only 10 -15 years, I was hoping to have it done and last until I'm in the 'old-folks' home. Also, I was told that to remove the rolled roofing, would probably ruin my decking and I would have to replace all the plywood.

any suggestions what I can do to make it last at least 30 years, like the rest of my roof?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #4

Also, I was told that although water and ice may get under the shingles (due to the low pitch), it would not penetrate the water and ice shield, so the roof would be protected. what do you think?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 586

If it is just ice and water barrier being exposed, I would not say that would suffice. I also would not think it would look very good either. The ice and water barrier that I have used is black and thin. Tearing off rolled roofing is not that bad. If it has been tarred then its another story.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

No asphalt shingle, even a lengthy warranted one, will last very long on such a minimal pitched roof.

The amount of snow and ice settlement which remains on top of the shingles will continually permeate the asphaltic composition. The shingle will become curled and shrunken substantially sooner than any warranty period offered from any manufacturer.

The manufacturers have certain limitations on their warranty, one being a pitch that is not considered a steep slope acceptable for shingle roofing and two, that proper Balanced air flow be provided for in both the intake ventilation and the exhaust ventilation scenarios.

On such a shallow pitch, I do not see which exhaust vent product would be adequate for that low pitch detail.

A new flat roof membrane as suggested previously would be your best alternative, but to be done properly, by an experienced roofer who does that type of roofing regularly.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Check with your building department it may be against code to shingle such a low slope. Never the less it is just plain stupid to do so and is proven not to work, ice and water shield is not magic.

RooferJim
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #8

Question

Which flat roof membrane or rolled roofing will last the longest? How long? Please, let me know type, brand name, and if it is applied by self-stick, tar, torched-down....enough to research on I-net.

Thanks to all for advice!!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

If youre going to DIY, I would recommends RooferJim's fave...EPDM. Glue is down.

Firestone.
GAF
Carlisle
RPM
GenFlex

Those are off the top of my head.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #10

I found some info on metal roofs in New England: Classic Metal Roofs. They say can go over my existing roof. Any thoughts or opinions or experience with this is appreciated.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #11

they actually want to sell me a PVC single ply membrane. I have the list of pros, but, besides the cost...what are the cons?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:58 AM   #12
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Why would you want to go over it now? Why would you not want to tear it off, whichever system you choose? Is it better?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 150

Single ply membrane roofs are not for DIYers if you dont know what your doing with it and dont know the tricks of the trade it can and will be a nightmare. for a DIY low slope roof the best route is a two ply Polyglass Elastoflex or the equivelent GAF Liberty sheet or Flintlastic. A novice with some common sence and a strong back can do this and have great results. you must follow the specific instructions and if there are a lot of flashing details you should consider getting a Real Roofer to install. Mastic "gunk etc.." is not magic.

RooferJim
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #14

"Why would you want to go over it now?" to save money, time, wasted trip to dump, it does not leak, and may provide extra barrier &/or extra strength if hit by tree branch.
" Why would you not want to tear it off, whichever system you choose? Is it better?" One Suggestion made to me was to cut a couple small areas of the current rolled roofing, check out the plywood underneath. If the ply wood is good, and this also confirms one layer of the current rolled roof, then cement/glue/caulk/tar the piece back on and go over with the 2nd layer of rolled roofing. If the plywood is not good or it appears to be 2 layers, then take the time to scrape off the old and on with the new. Sound like a plan? what do you think?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

Mr Home Owner,

Even though you seem to have a desire to do this and find the internet research to understand this, I do not get any good sense that you would be able to do a competant job in this situation.

I am not trying to demean you or your skill level, but sometimes (usually), a skilled task with specialized materials should ONLY be done by properly trained tradesmen.

Good luck in your endeavor to save some money, and I hope it does not cost you too much later on to correct your deficiencies.

I am sure we will still provide you with advise here if you ask for it, but I think you under estimate the intricacies of doing proper detail work with specialty products, so we will still try to assist you in the future.

Now, call up a local professional, and at least you will understand the options better, and hire them to do it.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote