Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Snow/Ice guards

I'm in need of some information as what type and size of snow guards to attach on my metal roof. Thanks

RetiredGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Snow/Ice guards

Lots of variables. What type of system, where are you located? Roof design, pitch. Most people don't understand that it is very possible the installation of snowbreak can be dangerous to the structural integrity of the building.

One example quite common is imbalanced snow load. Technically on a gable roof, proper snowbreak installation calls for installing it equally on both sides of the building. Not doing so will allow the snow to slide off one side, while being held on the roof on the other side. This puts undo lateral stress on the structure and could potentially cause it to collapse towards the side with no snow break.

That's just one example. Snow break installation needs to be done based on an engineers calculations. The higher-end mfrs will do the calculations for you but most people, including many contractors, just think you need to slap a piece of metal over your doorways and call it good.

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Snow/Ice guards

Along with what OB said, you need to install them in rows not exceeding 8' MAX, between them to hold the snow on the roof. Letting it slide down and hitting them on the bottom will destroy the snowguards and possibly damage the roof too.
Here's more info, though the examples I show here are slate, the principle is the same.
http://www.albertsroofing.com/SnowGu...stallation.htm
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #4

Snow/Ice guards

Assuming you have a smooth metal panel without any striations, ribs, coating, etc. we have had pretty good luck with adhered guards from these guys. http://www.snogem.com/sno-gem-snowguards-models.html You have to make sure you follow the directions pretty closely or they wont stick very well. We started using them cause I didnt want to add screw holes through a perfectly good roof panel.

Also, Broken has some good ideas too. I have gotten into more than 1 argument with a contractor when I tell them I would be happy to install the snow guard system after they have it designed.
Luv2Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Snow/Ice guards

If it is a standing-seam roof panel, I highly recommend S-5! .

Here is their website. Their distributors will do all the calcs for you as long as you can give them your building location and specification.

http://www.s-5.com/home/index.cfm
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote