Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Snow covered roof vents

Hi,

I purchased a home that has a large low-pitch complex hip roof in central Minnesota. The shingles and vents are probably less than 5 years old.

In winter, snow accumulates on my roof and can be 2 ft in some places.

The last roofer used LPV or "turtle" style vents. There about 12 of them and
I'm not sure if it was a good idea to use this kind of ventilation in this climate.

Naturally these get completely cover over with snow and that causes no ventilation, ice dams and I have to clear them every time we have a heavy snow fall.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to improve on this situation?

I am thinking that I should replace the LPVs with taller ones - like 12". If that sounds like a good idea, then I would like to know what would be a good product to consider.

Thanks

arydant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Snow covered roof vents

You need to get a Roof Rake, so that you can clear the Snow off your roof.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,944

Snow covered roof vents

We can not see your roof from here without a picture.
Any way to add ridge or gable vents in the spring?
Old 02-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #4

Snow covered roof vents

I have a long roof rake. It's too much work and it reaches about 1/3 of the snow.

I removing the snow is the only solution, I may have to hire that out.

A ridge vent would also get covered over too. Gables are probably not practical on this low pitch.

Here is a link to a pic of the rear of the house.

I can't post embedded links on this forum yet. Take the spaces out of the link to use.

add the h t t p : //media.cdn-redfin.com/photo/114/bigphoto/989/4187989_0.jpg
Old 02-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Snow covered roof vents

Yes you can post pictures at your status. It is done in the "Go Advanced" button.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 02-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #6

Snow covered roof vents

I can't find anything on this forum that says "Status". When I try to post a link a pop-up says I have to post 5 messages before I can do that.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Snow covered roof vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by arydant View Post
I can't find anything on this forum that says "Status". When I try to post a link a pop-up says I have to post 5 messages before I can do that.
Mark that up to replying in Chrome on my Google Nexus 7 2nd Gen. tablet.

When do a Reply or Quick Reply, in the message section, you should see a radio button "Go Advance". In there in the "Additional Options" section you should see a radio button labeled "Manage Attachments". It is supposed to be available to all users, regardless of how many posts you put up on the forum.

Links not being allowed, was due to massive spamming we got here last year. You can though put in the link, but leave out the periods and special characters (ie. www drop box .com / where I have the file I want you to look at). There should also be a little picture icon above the subject box, that allows you to link directly to a picture URL.

Now if you have an Android or iOS device, there is the diychatroom.com app in the googleplay store & Apple App store. It allows you to shoot a picture with your tablet and/or phone and post in your topic also.

I have used the app when posting an example of something. I like the app better, because you have a lot more control, and it is easier to use when on the go, then with the web browser on your tablet or phone.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #8
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Snow covered roof vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by arydant
I have a long roof rake. It's too much work and it reaches about 1/3 of the snow.

I removing the snow is the only solution, I may have to hire that out.

A ridge vent would also get covered over too. Gables are probably not practical on this low pitch.

Here is a link to a pic of the rear of the house.

I can't post embedded links on this forum yet. Take the spaces out of the link to use.

add the h t t p : //media.cdn-redfin.com/photo/114/bigphoto/989/4187989_0.jpg
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,432

Snow covered roof vents

It will typically melt around the vents if it hasn't already.

If not, roof rake the snow as mentioned earlier.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #10

Snow covered roof vents

If the snow fall isn't too heavy or the drifting isn't bad, yes, the vents do self clear themselves.

Roof raking is an obvious solution and has its limitations as I have pointed out.

Heavier snowfalls cover them up and then there is a little cavern forms over the
vent and water just flows down under the snow pack resulting in a dam.

My local building inspector says this is a common problem in this area with low pitch roofs. Along with the obvious clearing the vents he suggests going to turbine style vents which are taller.

So can anyone recommend some tall vents?

Tags
ice dams, snow, turtle vents