Snow Country Ridge Vent On 2:12 Pitch Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

snow country ridge vent on 2:12 pitch roof

I had whole roof replaced in the summer with Cobra snow country ridge vent installed. I knew the back of my house (2nd floor) has low-slope but did not know how much low. After the ridge vent was installed, we had quite some wind driven rains and I started to worry about the ridge vent. I final got up to the roof and measured the slope, it is 2:12.

But the snow country ridge vent has a minimum requirement of 3:12. I asked my roofer to fix the installation, but was told there should be no problem. Since there is no access to the attic right below the low-slope roof, I don't know if there were water coming in or not through the ridge opening.

Should I insist the roofer to remove the ridge vent over the low-pitch side or there is really no problem? PS, there is 10 year workmanship warranty.

Advertisement

Last edited by fxtm; 10-20-2011 at 03:04 PM.
fxtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

It's steep enough on the front side. If he only cuts out the sheathing on that side, it should be fine. Won't vent quite as well,but will still work.

Advertisement

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

I agree with See you, but it can still be problematic if wind driven rain is blown from the back side. Also snow sitting atop the vent may be a problem. I personally would not have installed the ridge vent and would have installed two-way breather vents designed for use with a flat roof on the rear flat roof.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtm View Post
I had whole roof replaced in the summer with Cobra snow country ridge vent installed. I knew the back of my house (2nd floor) has low-slope but did not know how much low. After the ridge vent was installed, we had quite some wind driven rains and I started to worry about the ridge vent. I final got up to the roof and measured the slope, it is 2:12.

But the snow country ridge vent has a minimum requirement of 3:12. I asked my roofer to fix the installation, but was told there should be no problem. Since there is no access to the attic right below the low-slope roof, I don't know if there were water coming in or not through the ridge opening.

Should I insist the roofer to remove the ridge vent over the low-pitch side or there is really no problem? PS, there is 10 year workmanship warranty.
If the roofer installed it on by his recommedation and your pitch is 2 12 and the manufacturer says minium 3 12, he installed the wrong product for your roof. Get the right product installed
longspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by longspur View Post
If the roofer installed it on by his recommedation and your pitch is 2 12 and the manufacturer says minium 3 12, he installed the wrong product for your roof. Get the right product installed
I'm not aware of any "right" ridgevent product that is rated for less than 3/12.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote