Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #1

Share |

Smell from Attic

I have an unfinished attic with blown-in insulation in the ceiling of my second floor, and am experiencing a smell from my attic. I noticed condensation up there, so am thinking the condensation is causing the insulation to smell. Does this sound reasonable?

If so, I am seeing differing opinions on humistats.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
LDC5

LDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
PRO

Smell from Attic

Sometimes mold will cause a hell of a smell. Check around on the back of the roof sheathing or the sides of the rafters and ceiling joists, look for some discolor. Some types of mold almost look white.

Bob

Old 02-06-2005, 10:55 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Smell from Attic

Forget the smell for a second. The smell is a symptom of a real problem.

You stated you hgave condensation in the attic. Chances are Glass is correct, you probably have mold. Either that or something has sponged up alot of the moisture from the condensation and is rotting.

You need to assess why you are having such a bad condensation issue. It is due to a few possible reasons. Improper ventilation, improper insulation, or humidifier set too high on the heater.

Black isn't always mold but white almost always is. Buy a cheap ($12) tester from home depot if you suspect you have a mold problem. If the tester says you have a problem, it's time to call the insurance company for a costly remediation!

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
Commercial Roofing

Smell from Attic

Mold remediation?!?!? nobody is covering this anymore. Too many lawsuits by people with old, leaky, or poorly installed leaky roofs.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:56 AM   #5

Smell from Attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDC5
I am experiencing a smell from my attic. I noticed condensation up there, so am thinking the condensation is causing the insulation to smell.
How do you 'experience' the smell? When you're in the attic? When you're in the living space beneath? Have you gone in the attic to look around? What is the smell like? I found a petrified bat in my attic when I moved in and I imagine that caused a smell at some time. How did you 'notice' condensation. I have what, at first glance, appears to be condensation on my roof rafters but upon closer inspection it is actually dried sap (it glistens like condensation would but is solidified). gather some more information and get back to us.
pipeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:47 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Smell from Attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB
Mold remediation?!?!? nobody is covering this anymore. Too many lawsuits by people with old, leaky, or poorly installed leaky roofs.
SOme peoplea re still covered. I sometimes work for a GC who specializes in insurance remediations. He doesn't touch a job without $20K profit. I did a roof once for him where we replaced the whole roof including the rafters. He had one of his other subs repalce the ceilings and insulation. Insurance paid 100%.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #7
Commercial Roofing

Smell from Attic

How long ago wass that, Grumpy? I know we recently got all of our changes in the policy and one stated no mold coverage, period. I guess it must be related to poor design/craftsmanship?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:13 AM   #8

Smell from Attic

Aaron, that was a year ago.

Maybe you have a poor insurance carrier.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:52 AM   #9
Commercial Roofing

Smell from Attic

MAybe I do....State FArm is a bit on the shady side.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #10
2pyrs

Smell from Attic

[quote=LDC5]I have an unfinished attic with blown-in insulation in the ceiling of my second floor, and am experiencing a smell from my attic. I noticed condensation up there, so am thinking the condensation is causing the insulation to smell. Does this sound reasonable?

Time to move the wife:

I had some what the same problem it was the vents. They got coverd and not cleared after blowing in insulation.

2pyrs
2pyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:58 PM   #11

Smell from Attic

I would agree with 2pyrs. Check to see if the soffit vents have been blocked with the insulation. You can use plywood blockers to prevent the wool from covering the vents. Regardless of locale, climate and temperatures, a well vented attic will not retain condensation.
'Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #12
Long-Time DIYer

Smell from Attic

URGENT CAUTION!
Mold is a MAJOR issue now.
Almost ALL insurance companies have stopped covering it in any way. (Check the latest copy of your homeowner's insurance...I bet that it probably isn't even covered, and even if it is, DO NOT FILE A CLAIM FOR MOLD).
The only real insurance protection for it now is flood insurance,and even THAT is a double-edged sword.
You need to greatly improve your attic ventilation at your own expense and that should take care of the problem.
I HIGHLY recommend that you correct the problem yourself, without filing ANY insurance claim.
If you ever file a mold claim (if you even can), you will drastically damage the currrent insurability of your home, AND seriously and permanently impair the re-sale and future insurability of your home. You will most likely find that your homeowner's insurance company will not even renew your policy, if you do. With a mold claim record (SHARED BY ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES), a prospective buyer may not even be able to acquire homeowner's insurance ANYWERE, and you may not be able to sell your home!
That is the best advice that I can give you, my friend. HANDLE IT YOURSELF, AND DO NOT FILE ANY MOLD CLAIM.
Good Luck!
Mike
(NC Real Estate Broker)

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 10-20-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote