SmartVent - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

SmartVent

I'm new to this chatroom. I searched for quite awhile and while I found references to SmartVent I didn't find any discussion that was focused on it.

We own a house that was built in 1965. It has no overhangs whatsoever. The roof has two layers of shingles and needs to be replaced. Our house is located in Rochester, NY. I want to do it right, if we can afford it and my friends and I can do the job as do-it-yourselfers.

Short of adding new trusses I am looking at SmartVent. If the roof regularly ices in the wintertime, and I have observed this on other houses that have overhangs with vented soffits and ridge vents, will SmartVent be ok or might ice & water eventually back up in it and cause damage? The pitch on our roof is 4:12.

Hopefully this is enough information for folks to give good advice.

Thanks,
Bruce

Advertisement

RochesterBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

SmartVent

I have spoken about the Smart Vent, from DCI Products in great detail on many threads in this forum

Do an Advanced Search, which will be some words that show up on the bottom of the regular Search button.

Then type in, User Name; Ed The Roofer

Then, with parenthesis included type into keywords; "Smart Vent" as 2 words.

Then, at the bottom do Search Posts, instead of Search Threads. This will eliminate alot of unnecessary reading.

It is acceptable on a 4/12 pitch roof and I have installed it on a home with a 2 1/2 per 12 slope about 4 years ago with no problems, and we live around Chicago, which has similar snow conditions as were you live.

Do you have any specific questions? Read my posts about the Smart Vent first, since I really love what that product has been able to do for providing proper balanced ventilation, especially for the intake air flow, ever since I heard about it.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

SmartVent

Thank you SO much. Thank you for the advice and thank you for the instruction on how to find what I was looking for. And I'm glad that it was you, Ed, that answered. I really appreciated the advice you gave to others for their roofing problems. I eventually went to the DCI page that you had a link to and found in their FAQ's that even in my area to install the SmartVent at the lowest edge of a previously unvented roof is not a problem since in their tests they have not found ice to build up at all let alone up the 6". And yes, I plan to use at least 1/2" 4-ply CDX plywood, and an AirVent Shingle Vent II or Cobra Snow Country Ridge Vent, and Grace ice shield as well as 30# paper on the rest. Does that square with your experience?
Thanks again,
Bruce
RochesterBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

SmartVent

Those are precosely the specifications that I recommend to anyone who wants a quality installation with materials that have proven themselves to me in the real world applications.

Glad I could help and let me know if there is anything else you need.

Did you check out the 10 Tips guide on selecting a contractor? Same thing, Search username; Ed The Roofer and "10 Tips" in the keywords.

Some of the questions I laid out really weed out the carnival barkers from the professionals who take pride in their work and long term results.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote