Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

SMART RIDGE ll From DCI Products

Anyone have any direct experience with this?

Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

No.

Just with the similar Smart Vent products which I use extensively for proper intake ventilation and on occassion for unique exhaust ventilation situations as I have previously posted photos.

(Maybe I posted the photos either in the roofing forum or the roofing gallery at contractortalk.com which is this sites contractor version sister site for contractors to discuss amongst themselves various trade and business related questions.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #3

I saw your photos. You brought DCI to my attention.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #4

That Smart ridge looks like it feathers down to match roof rake angle. They claim virtualy invisible from the street.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #5

The Shingle Vent II looks like an accented ridge cap profile and is functional from first hand experience.

I will only recommend a product after I have either field tested it myself or heard from sources I trust.

Ed
Old 08-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #6

I'm not sure how to interpret your last post. Dos it get your nod as a go or no go?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #7

I have used the Smart Vent Intake Vent Product extensively for the past 4 years or so for intake ventilation solutions, but have not even seen or heard of the Smart Ridge version until the DCI Product representatrive contacted me personally regarding some ventilation questions they had.

I have been completely satisfied with the Shingle Vent II and am reluctant to change from a proven winner in the exhaust ventilation category.

I have not had the opportunity to field test the Smart Ridge, nor have I heard any feedback whatsoever from any other contractor or inspector on the many various building and construction and inspector forums I actively participate in. Therefor, I can not offer any type of opinion as to how it functions or how it stands up to the test of time.

If you do wind up choosing to experiment with this new version of a ridge vent, I would appreciate some follow through from you in the future. I would especially be interested in the weather deflecting characteristics during a heavy windward rain or a powdery blowing snow to see if any of the elements enter into this ridge vent and dampen your attic insulation or you drywall ceiling underneath.

I have heard and seen horror stories of ridge vents which contained no external wind deflecting baffles allow extensive amounts of weather infiltration from the elements in the past.

Ed
Old 08-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #8

Hi Ed, Well, I can tell you that I want a Hi Definition ridge vent/shingle. Looks are every bit as important to me as anything else. I vasilated from Elk to Certainteed to GAF and now back to Elk. I can't help it. I like the shading and the way it looks. GAF is simply to monotone. Tamko dos nothing for me. When you can check out this image and site. Look at some of their other photos also. The bottom link is a nice look on the ridge.

http://www.roofingstore.ca/images/wpeE1.jpg

http://www.roofingstore.ca/images/shinglShowrm_ProDesign_03.jpg

Last edited by Docfletcher; 08-11-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:35 AM   #9

Elk was recently bought out/merged with GAF, so be careful your product line and color will still be available in the future in the event of replacement shingles being required for a repair. Or, just purchase enough extras to leave stock piled in the garage for the possibility.

I already have the roofing store site on my favorites list. (Damn, is there anything I do not have on there?)

I was not pleased with the cracking of the 50 year Elk Prestiques we recently installed on a $ 28,000.00 roof. They were their specdial High Profile ridge cap shingles and were soo brittle that they were cracking from nailing them on to the ridgew vents and on the hips of the home we improved.

Ed
Old 08-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #10

Ed was it just the ridge caps? I think that I saw that roofing store site had there own line of highdef/hi profile ridge caps.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:47 AM   #11

Yes, it was only the specialty ridge cap shingles, but they would have been the only ones requiring to be bent around a slight radius, so I can not determine if the field shingles would have presented the same defect.

I hated the underside of the field shingles. They had a granular embedment on them too, which not only caused more abreasions on the mens hands handking them and chewed up more hook blades than we normally go through in a month, but the most important resut from the excess granules was it created additional excessive loose granules on the roof surface, which allowed one of my employees to lose his footing and slip off of a one story garage roof and break both of his hands.

He was the foreman and is very safety oriented and cautious, so it was a very unfortunate incident, which I believe could have been prevented without the granules acting as a roof surface of ball bearings.

Ed
Old 08-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #12

Thats a horrible experience. As I'm sure you know, you can't help feeling helpless.

When roofers came out recently to do my estimates they would go into their spiel. Talking about GAF or Certainteed but mostly GAF 30 yr. As soon as I would say ELK 50 yr I could see their facial expressions change. They were not happy about putting ELK's up. They don't care for them.

When I felt the sample board I was able to bend them easy at the corners. I could actually see the cracks readily develop. Not good i know. I can see care must be exercised when handling these shingles. They need a crew that has a certain amount finesse to prevent damaging the shingles. Some sort of vacuum up there would be a good idea.

Last edited by Docfletcher; 08-12-2007 at 03:16 PM.