Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Share |

Slow plumbing leak or roof

I posted here because I suspect that I have have a roof leak somewhere, but thought I should check with you guys before having someone come out.

AI have a pretty fast drip coming from where I drilled some holes beneath the bottom of the second floor in a spot that juts out over the back yard. Pictures show what I am talking about. The holes were drilled when I had a leaking water line connection to a toilet some 6 months ago.

This drip was notice after the first good rain of the year. I t rained 24 hours and stopped. The drip tapered off but later accelerated and is not what I would describe as a fast drip. I am collecting it in a bucket now and timing it to quantify how much.

I have gotten up in what passes as an attic and not found any signs of water intrusion or dampness; not even on the bottom of the OSB roof sheeting.

To rule out a leak in the copper water pipes I shut the water to the heater off and am monitoring the water meter. None seems to be moving so I guess it isn't a plumbing leak. (Yes it possible could still be waste water but I doubt it. I guess I should devise a method of testing that.)

Other than getting up on the roof is there anything I can do? Access to the roof is difficult as it is pretty high and steep, requiring getting up on the hip roof over the porch and using a ladder to get up on the main roof.

I am thinking that there may be one or more small leaks that are permitting rain water to get on the tar paper, drain to the side, run down to the bottom of where some walls would have a weep screen, and it is dripping out the holes I drilled.

If this is what is going on, should I be too concerned. I am in So Cal and we get a few inches of rain a year. If it make much difference it is a Mediterranean/Spanish style roof composed of concrete shingles over paper on OSB sheathing. I think it is OSB. Did they use chiboard 24 years ago and is something different than OSB. I know the second floor subfloor is OSB.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Slow plumbing leak or roof-drip-003.jpg   Slow plumbing leak or roof-drip-006.jpg  

Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #2

Pictures of the roof would help.

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
Klawman (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #3

Those pictures are useless.
No clue why you would have drilled holes there.
Wax ring leaking under the toilet, A less then $5.00 fix, just replace it.
Seal leaking around where the waste stack goes through the roof is also a likely place to look.
Less then a $100.00 fix here, no telling what it would cost there.
Klawman (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Mod

Even a picture standing way back showing that side of the house and how the roof comes together at that inside corner.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Klawman (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
Mod

Quote:
This drip was notice after the first good rain of the year. I t rained 24 hours and stopped. The drip tapered off but later accelerated and is not what I would describe as a fast drip. I am collecting it in a bucket now and timing it to quantify how much.
Probably not a wax toilet gasket Joe.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #6

I'm confused- blue skies and still dripping?
I'm with Joe on this one...
Old 12-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #7

You probably meant pictures showing the roof surface better, but this is all I can get. I may be asking too much for help when you can't see get a good look at the roof. The one is the front where the roofer that was out last year to fix damage to the vents got up. The pic between my neighbors' homes shows a bit of the roof above the leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Slow plumbing leak or roof-roof-001.jpg   Slow plumbing leak or roof-roof-008.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #8

I just measured how much water is dripping in 1 hour. About `15 fluid ounces. (I spread out some more buckets to catch the slower drips and combined it is 1/5 a gallon per hour.)

This is not form a wax toilet ring. The toilet related leak was from a water line to the toilet that wasn't cinched down tightly. When water dripping down onto the patio was noticed, I rushed upstairs and tightened it. That stopped that. I then drilled the holes to let any water trapped above the stucco out. It stopped dripping in about 24 hours. This was several months ago.

I believe I have ruled out the current drip being from any water line.

I am trying to determine if this may be an issue or is it normal for so much roof water to collect in one area and drip down. Can I just let his go and keep an eye on it? (I am thinking that if I don't get up and take a look at it I better have someone do it. I don't want to get on the roof but might get hold of a long enough ladder that I can get a pretty good gander at that section and check for broken tiles, flashing problems and the like.)

Last edited by Klawman; 12-02-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Edit enclosed in parenthesis
Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Metal Roofing

I am confused.

Your last post indicates you measured the amount of water leaking. What day did you do that? i am in So Cal and it didnt rain today and it was mid 70s Sunday... we did get some rain Sat though, heavy in areas too.

Surely a neighbor has a two story ladder you could borrow??
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #10

I remember you and the garage door fix. You are not far from where I am in the hills just above the Foothill Ranch WalMart. I have a 28 footer which doesn't quite cut it, unless I go up onto the front hip roof and than use a shorter ladder to get onto the main roof. I can probably get ahold of something just a bit longer.

That measurement was taken today. I rechecked it and collected water from lesser drips within a foot and found it is leaking at a rate of 1/5 gallon per hour.

We may get just a little more rain and heavy dew but I don't think that much more than you in MV.

I also recall that when we moved into the house, back when it was new, the contractor was going around replacing the felt on potshelves with what they called *****athing. For this much water to be collecting there it is possible it is entering in a different area I would think, but most likely there has to be a leak up hill of it.

We didn't even get much rain Saturday. I remember because I went shooting in shirtsleeves.

Last edited by Klawman; 12-02-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
DIY staff

Turn off the water to the house---see if it stops----that might take a while---then turn it back on and see if the drip returns.

I'd do that before risking my neck on a ladder----
Live_Oak (12-03-2013), TheEplumber (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Turn off the water to the house---see if it stops----that might take a while---then turn it back on and see if the drip returns.

I'd do that before risking my neck on a ladder----
Hi Mike. I did something like that today. I didn't turn the water off to the house, but didn't use any faucets or toilets. I did shut the water off to the hot water heater and then I monitored the water meter out at the curb. In more than two hours it didn't budge. I think that ruled out a house leak, but to make certain I will do it your way.

I also try to stay off ladders as much as possible.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
Metal Roofing

It is probably going to end up being the pot ledges. It's not unheard of, but a two story home with a one story leak and no evidence of water in the room above the leak usually means it is not the roof. Not always, but 99% of the leaks i looked at in that situation were plumbing. The only other was in Laguna Hills, there was a hole in the stucco mid way up a two story chimney. I pulled that roof apart twice and comletely redid the area myself and it still leaked. That is when we discovered the hole in the stucco.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
Klawman (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
Metal Roofing

[QUOTE=Klawman;1274071].

That measurement was taken today. I rechecked it and collected water from lesser drips within a foot and found it is leaking at a rate of 1/5 gallon per hour.

[QUOTE]

I missed that...if your leaking at all today i would suspect plumbing.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
Klawman (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #15

Yeah, it sure sounds like plumbing. Tomorrow I am shutting all the water to the house off for at least 6 hours, ala ohmike's suggestion, and see if that stucco over the patio stops leaking. The good news is if I have to get into that exterior wall we are getting ready to have that room painted anyway.

If it's not plumbing, I can only think that a large amount of rain water would have had to collected somewhere and be slowly migrating to those holes and out.

After checking to see if the leak stops several hours after shutting down the water to the house, should it still be leaking I may cut an inspection hole in the drywall beneath the pot shelf and see if I can see anything.

Last edited by Klawman; 12-02-2013 at 11:09 PM.