Is This Sloppy Work Or Am I Too Picky? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 694

Is this sloppy work or am I too picky?

There was a roof leak near the chimney. Hired a roofer to locate the leak and fix. They broke a bunch of tiles when they were trying to find the leak.

When it's done, this is the result.

To me it seem a bit sloopy. I know the color will not match because mine is 5 years old and color faded. However, because they reused some old tiled that were not completely broken, and didn't clean off the concrete blobs on the edges of those, when they put it back, they do not hug tightly to the old tiles, some tilt up a bit, some down a bit. You can see it on the first row from the chimney, the third pic.

While they fixed my tiles, as they walked around, they also broke about a dozen tiles. Is that something they should fix or that's something I need to fix (as there is no proof that they broke it) but I know they were not like this when they started the project. Even the guy who came to estimate the job, broke two tiles before I hired them.

I just want to know, would you consider this a sloopy job, or acceptable?

Question, if I want to fix the piece on the valley myself, and need to cut that triangular shape, can I use a 4.5" grinder with a diamond blade?

Advertisement

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 258

You might be too picky about the color not matching like you said yours are a few years old but if they broke tiles they should fix them.

Advertisement

msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Quote:
Is this sloopy work or am I too picky
No no you are correct, color mismatch aside they absolutely did sloppy work. If they also broke those tiles they should be coming back to fix their sloppy-ness.

Have they been paid in full?

Last edited by Bud Cline; 12-22-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,056

yeah they fix the tiles, color match is beyond their control. Yes a angle grinder will cut them.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Looks a mess to me. I would have expected lead flashings dressed into the profile of those double romans.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

I see some helpful Moderator has corrected some spelling.

Takes all the fun out of it.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

I'm not even a roofer and I know you're not supposed to walk on those...you lay a ladder out and walk on that to distribute your weight among many tiles. Walking creates point loads on single tiles resulting in the broken tiles...hence your mess

With such a hack job being considered "finished" good luck getting him to fix it. I, personally, would hold payment until he decides whether he's going to fix it or walk away. If he fixes it, great. If not, use what would have been his money to hire a competent roofer to fix it.

Advertisement