Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
imtryingtofixit

Rewards Points: 10

sloped roof insulation

This is my 1st post so hope I'm in correct place. I live in sunny Alberta, Canada and own a 1915 two storey house. It is built on the idea of a barn style with an approximate 2 foot flat area at peak, then roof gradually slopes down - east, west - to meet walls. 9' ceilings on second floor. no soffits, so no soffit vents. The sloped roof is the ceiling of the bedrooms with of course the 2x4 construction gap. All inside walls, ceilings are tongue and groove shiplap? wood. Very solidly built. How do I go about insulating the "ceilings" in the bedrooms and still leave the air gab? No room for vapour barrier or the rafter air barriers that they now have. As no air enters through soffet vents now to keep roof cool will I be creating a worse situation if I have blown insulation put in these areas. Will be reroofing this spring and do not have sheeting on roof either. Should I have insulation blown in this way. Should sheeting be installed. Will be using water and ice shield on bottom portion and valleys. Should this be only place I install this. Floor in attic (undeveloped) is well insulated with blown insulation 18". Do I need roof ridge venting. Should I install whirly bird vents. Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
Attached Thumbnails
sloped roof insulation-pic_0061.jpg   sloped roof insulation-pic_0060.jpg  

Last edited by imtryingtofixit; 03-04-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: adding photos
imtryingtofixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #2

sloped roof insulation

Are you going to be doing the roofing job yourself? Either way I would have a few roofers bid the job. Find out how they would handle your issues. It will tell you much, both about the roof and about the roofers.

I'd like to offer advice, but, without pictures or drawings, your explanation is not sufficient.

jeweler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeweler For This Useful Post:
imtryingtofixit (03-04-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

sloped roof insulation

I don't think blown-in insulation works on a sloped ceiling space, but I might be wrong.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
imtryingtofixit

sloped roof insulation

Thanks for the great ideas. This should be a good way to determine a good contractor. I am also adding photos. Sorry about that.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

sloped roof insulation

As jlhaslip said: http://www.energy.wsu.edu/documents/...r_04-2006A.pdf
Check with your LOCAL Building Department.

Be safe, Gary
Old 03-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Commercial Roofing

sloped roof insulation

If your conditioned living space is well insulated, you shuld be good to go. You should not need insulation in the roof framing unless youre trying to convert this space to conditioned space.

Ventilate it.

Install roof sheathing if youre installing a roofing system that needs it.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
imtryingtofixit

sloped roof insulation

I am not sure that I understand your advice. Or maybe its that my explanation was not clear. As noted in the photos which I have just downloaded the sloped roof is the ceiling in the bedrooms - 4 bedrooms. The roof is constructed of 2X4's, horizontal boards instead of sheeting, asphalt shingles. In some areas the boards leave numerous inches between each meaning that the shingles are the only thing between attic and the great outdoors. There is a open air vent on each gable end which is the only venting. Please refer to 1st quote for concerns. Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #8

sloped roof insulation

Code in Alberta is R40 (or R42) for ceilings and there is no way you will be getting that out of a 2x4 construction for the roof unless there is something new on the market. Pink rigid styrofoam is around R5 to the inch, so that gives you about R20 only.
You should look at adding a cold roof system to your roof to get a decent insulation value.
Strip the roof and add a 2 x 8 rafter system on top which will allow you to improve the insulation to near code and have the ventilation you require.

More money, but money well spent.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:46 AM   #9
Commercial Roofing

sloped roof insulation

My mistake.

I would add as much insulation as possible when you redo the roof. To get the maximum R value, I would definitely use closed cell polyurethane foam.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #10

sloped roof insulation

First thing is check with the building department to see if a permit is required, and what minimum code standards you will need to meet. You need to confirm the true size of your rafters. I doubt they are only 2x4. Once you know what is there then you can talk to the building department about how you need to rebuild your roof. They will also address the issue of a cold roof or other methods of proper ventilation. Then you can weigh the options of different kinds and amounts of insulation. Based on your explanation this is clearly a job for a contractor. Just be sure they explain exactly how they are going to build your roof and list the components they will use. You will be without any roof for the period between tearing off what you have and when they start the new one. Have them explain how you will be protected during this time. And, be sure they tell you how long...
jeweler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
imtryingtofixit

sloped roof insulation

thanks for the help. good advice.

Tags
insulation, roofing