DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Slate Roofing

3K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  jagans 
#1 ·
I want to repair roof of my house.I heard that slate roofing is good.How it will be effective and whether it is long lasting or not.So what is the suggestion about the slate roofing?

#3 ·
Slate roofs are expected to give 200 years of service----

Easily the best roof available---the price reflects that quality. Use Welsh slate if available.

Some slate will last that long or longer. Some slate is 60 years tops. PA slate (which is used a lot in my area) lasts 60-80 years. Monson and Buckingham are a lot longer lasting. There are others. Slate from different regions has different appearances. Also, roof slope and structural integrity can determine whether slate is a proper roof material for your building.

#4 ·
Slate is a wonderful roofing material, with a few unfortunate issues. First, it is expensive to install. Second, it is heavy, and not all roofs can support it. Third, it is slippery as all get up, so you are not going to be walking about on that roof unless it is near flat. Slate installation is for professionals only in my opinion, not a good DIY option.

#11 ·
:eek:
Slate isn't to be walked on, period. It takes 2x6 rafters or larger. DO NOT use plywood for the deck. Use 1x8's or wider, pine or fir.
As long as headlap and sidelap rules are followed, it's DIYable. Only use copper nails. Underlay is NOT inportant since slate can be installed on slats if you want to. Underlay will disappear withing 60 years and the roof will still be going strong 200+ years later if using Monson or Bckingham.
Only use copper nails for longevity and the ability to make any needed repairs easily. 1-1/4" nails are optimal for 3/8" thick slate. 1-1/2" nails can used at the ridge into the nailer for the cap and 'sleeper' metal.

#10 ·
Slate is certainly a good option, as long as a quality slate is used, there are some poor quality varieties available that don't last the distance. Also, imo, best to put slate on a pitch that's not too easy to walk on, I've seen plenty of easily walkable slate roofs wrecked by people trampling all over when maintaining chimneys, dormers etc. A steeper pitch necessitates use of the correct roof ladders etc to avoid breaking the slates. Everything you need to know is here: http://jenkinsslate.com/

#14 · (Edited)
The weight is about 800-900 lbs. per square, if I remember correctly, so you better check you load bearing capability first. Oh, and watch out for the imported stuff from Asia. It fails in about 7 years.

Buckingham is good, IMHO. Peach bottom is really good, but I don't think you can get that any more. Tinner will know, I just wanted to reiterate the structural aspect. Heavy roof.

Oh, Carlisle makes a rubber slate that looks just like the real thing, but not the weight. Of course it will surely not hold up like real slate, but it looks damn good, and weighs about 350 lbs per square.

#15 ·
That Asian crap is what I was referring to--I worked alongside a English slater on a few tile jobs last year. Said he reslated the same roof (on a NZ house) 3 times in 15 years (owner supplied Asian slate). House now has asphalt shingles :no:
I've seen that Carlisle product (called EcoStar) it does look good, I agree it won't last as long as real slate, but good when the structure is not built for the weight of the real thing, or the roof is of a pitch where every Tom, Dick & Harry will get up there and wreck it.

#18 ·
Um, I'm pretty sure that hold true regardless of the material used.

If the building wasn't built to hold the weight of slate, I was told that the odds of it supporting a slate roof are pretty slim.

I believe that Vermont has some excellent slate as well. I was told (can not confirm) that the slate roof tile that I just got came from Vermont originally. It's 140 years old though, so who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.