Slate Roof Trim. - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Slate roof trim.

Hello: Have a pitched slate roof where the slates stop at the outside edge of the 9" solid brick wall gable end. The slates at this point are finished with a strip of render about 12" wide and raised about 2" above the slate.

It seems a fairly typical way of finishing older style houses, at least here in the UK.

The render is falling away and, though it would not be impossible for me to chip it all off and replace with new mortar I'm wondering if there's a more modern way of doing it. Perhaps a lighter weight material that will save me hauling umpteen buckets of mortar up there.

Am not averse to hard work but am not young either.

Advertisement

PedrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Slate roof trim.

Post a picture if you can.

We have a member from the U.K. with slate experience --when he checks in I hope he spots this.

Plenty of good roofers on this side of the Atlantic,too.---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

Slate roof trim.

Will do, Mike. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Slate roof trim.

There are some dry verge systems for slate roofs now, although you might break a few slates getting the render off.
That method of rendering was popular where there was a problem with the wind taking off the end slates.
There is another method popular in North Wales using angled ridge tiles bedded over the verge.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuart45 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-25-2011), PedrX (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #5

Slate roof trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
There are some dry verge systems for slate roofs now, although you might break a few slates getting the render off.
That method of rendering was popular where there was a problem with the wind taking off the end slates.
There is another method popular in North Wales using angled ridge tiles bedded over the verge.
Thanks, Stuart. Have spent an hour trying to post a photo without success.

Have looked at the the dry verge systems and now wonder if it wouldn't be easier/cheaper to replace the existing render particularly taking into account the following. (What exactly are these angled ridge tiles by the way?)

It occurs to me that I'll have to render the whole gable end anyway. The water is obviously getting behind the render. So, if you agree it's ok to redo the verge again in mortar, presumably the wall should be done first, then a batten fixed to the finsihed wall to get a bit of an overhang on the verge mortar.

Another thing that struck me is: should I strip all the roof slates off and put a membrane underneath? The roof timbers and battens are sound, slates ok, but there may be nail fatigue after (50?) years. Even the lime mortar plastered under the slates is still reasonable but... well, I'll be putting a lot of effort into the interior - hand made fitted furniture and stuff - and it worries me, if a slate blows off...

The epdm rubber is on the new extension roof. Just waiting for a dry day to stick it down. Never did get an answer to my previous post ( what do you stick rubber to bitumen - tar - pitch - whatever you people call it). The epdm supplier says use impact/contact adhesive - as reccomended for the decking but... often the manufacturer/supplier knows less than the user.

Thanks for your interest so far. Will get some help with the photo from someone with a better understanding of this infernal electronic gadget.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #6

Slate roof trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedrX View Post
Thanks, Stuart. Have spent an hour trying to post a photo without success.

Have looked at the the dry verge systems and now wonder if it wouldn't be easier/cheaper to replace the existing render particularly taking into account the following. (What exactly are these angled ridge tiles by the way?)
These
Name:  140.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  4.4 KB

It occurs to me that I'll have to render the whole gable end anyway. The water is obviously getting behind the render. So, if you agree it's ok to redo the verge again in mortar, presumably the wall should be done first, then a batten fixed to the finsihed wall to get a bit of an overhang on the verge mortar.
Make sure you use sharp sand/cement for over the verge.

Another thing that struck me is: should I strip all the roof slates off and put a membrane underneath? The roof timbers and battens are sound, slates ok, but there may be nail fatigue after (50?) years. Even the lime mortar plastered under the slates is still reasonable but... well, I'll be putting a lot of effort into the interior - hand made fitted furniture and stuff - and it worries me, if a slate blows off...
Difficult to say without seeing the roof. If you are doing all the work yourself and reusing most of the slates it shouldn't be too expensive.
I would use a breather membrane under the slates. The scaffold would be the biggest expense.

The epdm rubber is on the new extension roof. Just waiting for a dry day to stick it down. Never did get an answer to my previous post ( what do you stick rubber to bitumen - tar - pitch - whatever you people call it). The epdm supplier says use impact/contact adhesive - as reccomended for the decking but... often the manufacturer/supplier knows less than the user.

Thanks for your interest so far. Will get some help with the photo from someone with a better understanding of this infernal electronic gadget.
Hope you can get some photo's on soon PedreX.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #7

Slate roof trim.

Thanks, Stuart. Will study your advice. In the meantime I think I've managed the photo by reducing the pixel size.
Attached Thumbnails
Slate roof trim.-bryn-dulas-house-roof-verge-etc-011.jpg  
Old 08-27-2011, 04:56 AM   #8

Slate roof trim.

See what you mean about the render. Looks like you need some work on the stack as well. The slates look to be in good nick though, as they are probably good quality Welsh. I'm buiding an extension at home and using 14x6 reclaimed Welsh on the roof.
Here's a shot of a house in North Wales with ridge tiles at the verge.
Slate roof trim.-phpkgb0rham.jpg
Old 08-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #9

Slate roof trim.

The ridge tiled verge looks really neat. Will certainly consider this idea. Thanks.

Advertisement