Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #1

Share |

slate roof replacement

in desperate need of replacing a slate roof... bought a house in oct. using all my cash.. didn't realize the whole roof needed replaced.. wondering if anybody would know of anyone willing to possibly trade the slate for a new roof... my credit is in need of repair due to a divorce so no bank will give me a loan for 6-12 months and income is too high for government loans... the house is in need of new electric, plumbing, kitchen, and some drywall replacement... i am more than willing to do any and all of the work i can possibly do myself but at a stand still with a leaky roof... any one have any ideas......... I am at my wits end and just want to be able to live in my house......... help..........

w36cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
Commercial Roofing

slate roof replacement

What exactly is wrong with your slate roof to warrant full replacement? I mean if the slates arent cracked and the framing and purlins are still good, then why in the world would you need to replace a slate roof?

It is natural stone... it doesn't wear out for thousands of years.

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #3

slate roof replacement

The house was vacant for about 1 yr prior to my purchase and during that time there was no maintenace on the house. The roof is leaking around an old chimney that needs taken down. You can visibly see a few dips in the roof from rotted wood. They must have tried to get someone local to repair the roof in the past because you can see lots of patches. Unfortunately not many people in my area are familiar with slate roof repair and i think they did more harm than good. Also it looks like it may be pennsylvania black slate. I am waiting (2 weeks now) for a contractor to look at the roof and let me know if he may be able to repair. Unfortunately even with a roof repair it will still need all new soffet, fascia, and guttering. (not sure if my spelling is correct...lol) I could try to send pictures if anyone would be interested in looking... Most people may think i am crazy to buy a house in need of such repair but the house just has soooooo much potential. I have figured an overall of $35,000 for complete repairs and only paid $50,000 for it. Houses in that area go for $125,000 and up. Even though i have no thoughts of ever selling I don't think i made such a bad investment.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #4

slate roof replacement

With slates it's usually the nails that fail first. Can you put some photos on?
stuart45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
DIY staff

slate roof replacement

Cowgirl---Post some pictures--In the attic and the roof---
And your location--You want help--We need info to do that--There are two slate roofers that hang out here,that I know of,maybe more.

A slate roof properly installed is a lifetime roof--I'm guessing that yours can be saved --

Welcome aboard!!!!! Pictures--------------and location--------MIKE-------
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #6

slate roof replacement

Unfortunately... a contractor did get back to me and the roof is pa black slate and at the end of its life span. In need of replacement... boo! i will try to send pics anyway... thanks to everyone for trying to help...
let me know if the pics are viewable....can't say i have done this before..lol
Attached Thumbnails
slate roof replacement-593.jpg   slate roof replacement-443.jpg   slate roof replacement-596.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #7

slate roof replacement

just wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on how i may be able to patch or cover the roof to prevent any more damage until my credit is repaired and i can pay for the complete replacement.... As you may have seen in the pictures i have many more things i could be working on inside if only i could stop the leak...lol. Lots of damaged drywall that needs torn out and replaced.... kitchen is already torn out but afraid to put in new electric,,, plumbing,,, and drywall with the leak.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #8

slate roof replacement

what a shame for such a beautiful roof to get in such disrepair

hopefully the roofing pros can help you here
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #9

slate roof replacement

Your roof has got nail sickness. Most of the roofs in my area are either slate or thatch and this is a common problem. The slates can usually be re used, but most roofers rip them off quick and take them away to their yard and charge the customers for the reclaimed ones that came off the last job. The slates that came off this roof would then be sorted out and the good ones used on the next job.
I have seen some of the farmers round here fix up a worse roof than yours with lead tingles rather than re roof.
stuart45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #10
Pro Slate Roofer

slate roof replacement

Evidently, a slate broke somewhere, and then a jackle got up there and made it worse. Then, the chimney leaked, and was tarred, but never repaired. Each leak on the roof can be traced back to the one item well above it that caused all the other damage. What a shame.
For temp repairs, I guess you could just bib the heck out of it, but the chimney would still leak. If the wind never gets over 5-8 mph, I guess you could but some quality tarps and cover the whole house. Each time you do that, you might get another month or two of time. Be carefull.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote