Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #1

Share |

skylights and vents in flat roof

Roof is a rolled out mod bitumen flat roof. I'm putting 3 solar tubes into it and have 2 plumbing vents that need to go through. I've done roll-out roofs and shingle roofs before. In those you just set the new flashing under the shingles or roll and tar the hell out of it. I've never worked with a flat roof and wanted to make sure that I'm doing the right things to ensure that the flashing for the skylights seals to the old roof. What products/techniques should I be using? Thanks in advance for the help.

Oh - and have a couple places where some previous owner screwed the satellite dish directly through the roof and then just laid down a bunch of silicon. Figure that I should probably fix that while I'm up there - especially since that sat. dish is no longer being used.

I'm assuming that I can just buy some peel and stick and patch but I wanted to make sure that it would adhere and see if there was anything I should be worried about.

Last edited by brownmoose; 05-14-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: clarify
brownmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

flash it then 3-course it.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Commercial Roofing

you should build a curb for each solar tube. That is unless they have 'em designed for flat roofs now. if it is just the flange and dome, then a curb is definitely in order. Then flash the curb and make the flange work somehow. There are probably better skylights available for solar tubes.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat roof skylights