Skylights Replacement - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Skylights replacement


Hello everyone!
My house was build in 1987,and it still has original skylights. Its time to replace them, since one of them are leaking in. So far I only had one estimate: replace two skylights 22"x46", wasco deck mount type for $1640. Is it normal price or not? I believe our skylights are curb mount, so they gonna need to cut some drywall for deck mount skylight? What also do I need to know before I'll hire someone? Looking for comments and advice.
Thanks!

Advertisement

Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Skylights replacement


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Is it normal price or not?
Too many variables.

see here---> "How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

DM

Advertisement

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,778
Rewards Points: 672
Default

Skylights replacement


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Hello everyone!
My house was build in 1987,and it still has original skylights. Its time to replace them, since one of them are leaking in. So far I only had one estimate: replace two skylights 22"x46", wasco deck mount type for $1640. Is it normal price or not? I believe our skylights are curb mount, so they gonna need to cut some drywall for deck mount skylight? What also do I need to know before I'll hire someone? Looking for comments and advice.
Thanks!
As far as pricing no one here is going to be able to help with that one on this site.
Why not find out why and where it's leaking instead of replacing. Could be as simple as fixing the flashing.
Curb mount just means the light sits up higher off the roof and really has nothing to do with the inside.
Unless you change the size there should be no need to cut the drywall.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Metal Roofing
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 539
Rewards Points: 552
Default

Skylights replacement


2246 velux flat glass curb mount from HD or Lowes are $207 and some change each out the door.

Leak solved if its just the skylights. If you have poor installation of the skylights in the roof, thats a completely different ball game. You would need to fix the roof issue then get new lids.

Pics would help

I dont know that brand of skylight you mentioned, are they operable..manual or electronic. Flat glass or Acrylic. Could mean the difference in price of $1000 vs plain curb mounts. We need more details.

Pics
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 142
Rewards Points: 83
Default

Skylights replacement


Considering you can get a decent Velux skylight for under $200, and they are only held on by 8 screws or less. $1640.......hmmph
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Member
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 2,785
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Skylights replacement


yea.. all you gotta do is put in 8 screws
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
seeyou (04-28-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 7,129
Rewards Points: 3,292
Default

Skylights replacement


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
yea.. all you gotta do is put in 8 screws
and a dab of caulk....
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
seeyou (04-28-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Skylights replacement


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
yea.. all you gotta do is put in 8 screws
Is not only about 8 screws. Roof company wants to replace flashings too, not the lid only. They gonna need to take off shingles around light. Thats what they wrote on estimate:"replace two curb mount skylights with two new fixed 22x46" wasco self flashing skylights cut down curbs to receive same. No interior sheetrock finishing include sheetrock end cap" Is it makes sence?
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Skylights replacement


W
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRS View Post
2246 velux flat glass curb mount from HD or Lowes are $207 and some change each out the door.

Leak solved if its just the skylights. If you have poor installation of the skylights in the roof, thats a completely different ball game. You would need to fix the roof issue then get new lids.

Pics would help

I dont know that brand of skylight you mentioned, are they operable..manual or electronic. Flat glass or Acrylic. Could mean the difference in price of $1000 vs plain curb mounts. We need more details.

Pics
went on the roof 2 days ago. Looks like gasket coming out, between glass and lid frame. I did put some roof cement (not sure if thatís the right product for that spot). We had some rain yesterday, is not leaking so far. But its only temporary fix I guess. Two years ago I took the lid off, and insulate gaps between sheetrock and frame, because cold air was coming in from attic in to the room. Itís much better now. Also shaft itself needs better insulation from attic. But its very limited space there (cathedral ceiling), not sure how to get there.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Member
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 2,785
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Skylights replacement


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Is not only about 8 screws. Roof company wants to replace flashings too, not the lid only. They gonna need to take off shingles around light. Thats what they wrote on estimate:"replace two curb mount skylights with two new fixed 22x46" wasco self flashing skylights cut down curbs to receive same. No interior sheetrock finishing include sheetrock end cap" Is it makes sence?
+have insurance and workmans comp,cleanup and remove debris and hopefully guarantee their work and pay the help decently
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
seeyou (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 142
Rewards Points: 83
Default

Skylights replacement


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
yea.. all you gotta do is put in 8 screws
If you're replacing just the skylight, then yeah that and some sealant.

I don't know about that skylight with a condom on it, never even heard of Wasco up here before. The install looks simple enough, tuck and fold here, nail there, all good.....
I think I would prefer a regular curb mount with front and back pans and step flash up the sides, counter flash to cover all that. A line of sealant around the top, drop the skylight on and guess what's last Tom, 8 screws...
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
Member
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 2,785
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Skylights replacement


so..your saying what exactly?

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Size of Replacement Window joside Remodeling 10 05-30-2012 05:46 PM
Wood Sash to Vinyl Replacement Windows Pittsville Building & Construction 3 05-27-2011 03:24 AM
adding skylights to vaulted ceiling capslock Building & Construction 28 01-20-2010 09:24 PM
window sash replacement kits? jimhome Remodeling 5 11-02-2009 01:48 PM
Are roof skylights leaking? Halron Roofing/Siding 3 04-15-2007 03:06 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts