Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #1

Share |

Skylight - what type of caulking

I just moved into my new home and it has several large skylights on the roof (about 4'x6'), but they're not really skylights. They're windows with metal framing. They're about 30 years old and need to be re-caulked every once in a while and I've noticed the caulk is pretty brittle and falling apart. I'm just wondering what type of caulking should be used on the screws and seems. I've read everything from silicone, polyurethane, roofing repair caulk, etc. and since I don't know much about them I'm unsure which would be the best. I've seen "gutter and flashing silicone" at the hardware store that seems the most appropriate but I'm wondering if there's something better or more specific for skylights.

Which type would be the best?

Thanks

daphats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #2

Post a picture.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Metal Roofing

If its a skylight it is typically sealed at the factory with a butyl type tape. If its a skylight thats been caulked then thats an indication they are in need of replacement, or reglazing. Dont use Henrys ( joke from another thread)

If its a window it probably is just caulking and would be DIY for sure.

Is the skylight glass or is it acrylic...sounding like a wood curb wrapped in drip edge with a Mickey Mouse glass or plexi top cauled to it. I hope thats not the case.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 08-25-2012 at 11:36 PM.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #4

Here are some pics. You can see the caulking on the screws and seems are deteriorating. Even the white caulking between the glass and metal is peeling away.

So I was thinking of replacing the white caulk with silicone where the glass meets the metal frame but I'm not sure what would be best for the metal seams and screws. It looks like roofing sealant was used (it might just be black caulking) but I'm just wondering if there's something more appropriate. I assume silicone would work well but if there's something better I'd like to use it.

daphats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Silicon, if the substrate is clean, will work in this application.

Make sure to get something that is exterior grade and UV stabilized.

I prefer the structural glazing sealants like Soudal LM 50s but that is somewhat regional.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote