Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

skylight and roof replacement and i and w shield

Hi,
I'll be having a roof replaced of a family room extension. The shingles and paper will all be removed. Presently there is an old bubble type of skylight(very inefficient). We will be having a curb mounted Velux fixed skylight put on. I've narrowed it down to 2 estimates. here's the dilemma.
One roofer does the standard roofing tar paper, ice and water barrier around edges, flashing etc. But he says the ice and water barrier is overkill aroound the skylight. He says he uses only flashing. They've been around a long time.
The second roofer uses the more high tech ice and water barrier instead of the tar paper, and the ice and water shield around edges and skylight.
Any opinions/advice is greatly appreciated. this is my first roof replacement.
Thanks
George

geoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

as long as the roofer guaranties his work you should be fine

velux has an installation method they want used tell each roofer that's how YOU want them installed

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Recently, Velux changed it's mounting system on deck mount units and they now have a roll of peel & stick membrane included that must be used. So, if the 1st guy is using the roll included, but not other I&WS he'd be correct on the new models. If he were installing the old models (which there are still a lot of on the shelves) without providing some I&WS, he'd be wrong.

One of the reasons for using the I&WS is condensation on the inside of the metal flashing. I&WS sheds that when it occurs.
Attached Thumbnails
skylight and roof replacement and i and w shield-velux.jpg  
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
MJW

Seeyou is correct. The new units come with the I&W type membrane to put around the skylight. Overkill??? IMO, yes, most of the time, but why not, right?

I've never seen a Vellux that mounts like the picture shows though. Might be new. I haven't seen a new one of the skylights, just new flashing kits and they came with the I&W strip in rolls.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Seeyou is correct. The new units come with the I&W type membrane to put around the skylight. Overkill??? IMO, yes, most of the time, but why not, right?

I've never seen a Vellux that mounts like the picture shows though. Might be new. I haven't seen a new one of the skylights, just new flashing kits and they came with the I&W strip in rolls.
That's the new mounting flange. I took that pic from the Velux site. We've installed several of them. I like.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #6

this is the curb mounted. The first guy insists he is old school. Is the high tech membrane instead of the tar paper worth it? The old guy who sold over said he used to put no tar paper and the roofs would last forever. I am so confused. R the new high tech ice and water shields over the whole roof so much better than the standard 15lb. tar paper. Must make decision soon?
Thanks
George
Old 07-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoss View Post
this is the curb mounted. The first guy insists he is old school. Is the high tech membrane instead of the tar paper worth it? The old guy who sold over said he used to put no tar paper and the roofs would last forever. I am so confused. R the new high tech ice and water shields over the whole roof so much better than the standard 15lb. tar paper. Must make decision soon?
Thanks
George
Curb Mounted: I&WS is not necessary for warranty then. Velux suggests it. They probably know more than the 1st guy. Sounds like he learned everything he's gonna learn a long time ago.

New underlayments: IMHO, yes they are, but they are not ice and water shields.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #8

i actually pulled one of these out when i did my roof. skylight was around 15yrs old and framed with 2x4s. what i noticed

none of the sheathing had any moisture damage since it was flashed properly, no iw shield

the 2x4 framing had moisture damage and was damp in places due to not being sealed around the skylight. they also did not use PT wood which i replaced it all with

so, if you buy new follow the directions as stated.

if it's used, iw wouldn't hurt at all but in my application it was not needed
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #9

Thanks,
waiting for 2nd. contractor's lowest price. He is the one that instals ice/water barrier whole roof and no tar paper, and uses the ice /wateer barrier around the skylight.
I heard the new membranes keep the roof cooler-that seems to be an advantage. More confused by the minute....................
George
Old 07-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Recently, Velux changed it's mounting system on deck mount units and they now have a roll of peel & stick membrane included that must be used. So, if the 1st guy is using the roll included, but not other I&WS he'd be correct on the new models. If he were installing the old models (which there are still a lot of on the shelves) without providing some I&WS, he'd be wrong.

One of the reasons for using the I&WS is condensation on the inside of the metal flashing. I&WS sheds that when it occurs.
Is #1 a full perimeter flange?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Is #1 a full perimeter flange?
Yes Sir
Old 07-11-2010, 05:25 AM   #12

1st, guy is 1 ply ice shield perimeter of roof, and 1 ply #15 felt the rest of the roof.
2nd. guy is steep slope ice and water barrier underlayment over complete roof deck, and low slope ice and water shield at all eaves and around skylight.
Both use nails
thanks
George
p.s. my Development requires the Certainteed Landmark shingle

Last edited by geoss; 07-11-2010 at 05:27 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 07-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #13
Residential Roofer

Quote:
1st, guy is 1 ply ice shield perimeter of roof, and 1 ply #15 felt the rest of the roof.
2nd. guy is steep slope ice and water barrier underlayment over complete roof deck, and low slope ice and water shield at all eaves and around skylight.
Both use nails
thanks
George
p.s. my Development requires the Certainteed Landmark shingle

I have used both installation methods, both work.

Roofer 1 is stuck in the "can't teach an old dog new tricks mode".
Roofer 2 is new school and selling what he/she was taught to sell.

The newer underlayments are not yet time tested, that doe's not mean they don't work, just means that the advantages they claim to add to the roofing system may or may not be factual.

Choose the roofer you feel most confident with, if it happens to be the old dog, tell him/her you want the ice guard around the sky lights as extra protection 'period'.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slyfox For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-11-2010)
Old 07-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #14

Thanks....2nd. guy is supposed to email his best price tomorrow or so.
There is a $370 difference as of right now, is the new tech whole roof ice and water barrier worth it??? Also #1 gives 10yr. labor warranty, #2 gives 5 years. #2 also supplies one sheet of 4X8, if needed. Please help. Thanks
George
they are both reviewed in checkbook.org, but I can't get into it.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #15
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Thanks....2nd. guy is supposed to email his best price tomorrow or so.
There is a $370 difference as of right now, is the new tech whole roof ice and water barrier worth it??? Also #1 gives 10yr. labor warranty, #2 gives 5 years. #2 also supplies one sheet of 4X8, if needed. Please help. Thanks
George
they are both reviewed in checkbook.org, but I can't get into it.

I live in Ohio 'Mahoning County' and with the average snow falls/ice build up we deal with here the additional cost of the newer underlayments are hard to justify.
In an area that receives extreme winter conditions, the cost is easily justified.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote