Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Share |

Skylight replacement

I'm having a new roof put on an our skylights seem to be a little unusual. So far I've had one roofer say nothing special about them. The other said they'll need to build up material in the opening to be able to deck mount the skylight. They're about 20 years old so replacement is a likely option. I'm not sure if the first guy just missed it, or the second guy is pulling one on me with $4k to replace 4 skylights?

Here is a pic as it sits.

theruleslawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Metal Roofing

Skylight replacement

That looks terrible, if your reroofing you will most surely want to get new skylights also.

I could go to HD and get four curb mount model 2246 Velux flat glass units for $220 out the door each. His pricing may include custom sizes so maybe $100 more each. But without knowing what they propose doing for the 4k its hard to say. Is he modifying the inside skylight demensions and then the dry wall? Or is he just putting 4 new self flashing skylights over the existing openings?...if thats the case i think its too pricy.

The other consideration would be if the skylights are manual operable or electronically openable...this can add a chunk of $ to the cost of skyights also. Sunshades are another option that add extra cost to a skylight.

Yes they need replacing though. For 4k i would hope they are doing curb mounts, i am not a fan of deck mounts but i mainly deal with metal roofing.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 05-14-2013 at 03:37 PM.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #3

Skylight replacement

I second replace those with velux curb mounts, get a third price and ask specifically for it to include new curb mounted units, to compare. If the first roofer didn't even mention the skylights throw his estimate in the fireplace.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #4

Skylight replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRS View Post
That looks terrible, if your reroofing you will most surely want to get new skylights also.

I could go to HD and get four curb mount model 2246 Velux flat glass units for $220 out the door each. His pricing may include custom sizes so maybe $100 more each. But without knowing what they propose doing for the 4k its hard to say. Is he modifying the inside skylight demensions and then the dry wall? Or is he just putting 4 new self flashing skylights over the existing openings?...if thats the case i think its too pricy.

The other consideration would be if the skylights are manual operable or electronically openable...this can add a chunk of $ to the cost of skyights also. Sunshades are another option that add extra cost to a skylight.

Yes they need replacing though. For 4k i would hope they are doing curb mounts, i am not a fan of deck mounts but i mainly deal with metal roofing.
The quote is for basic skylights. 3x fsc06 and 1x fsc01 installed. No interior work. They are already going to be doing the rest of the roof if they do the work.

Specifically-
"We will build up the roof as necessary around the openings of the skylight using unfinished lumber to
accommodate new skylights on top of the roof deck. There will be interior finishing work that will be necessary
on the part of the homeowner to accommodate the new positioning of the skylights."

What I guess I really need to know is the original some horribly non-standard way to do the skylight that requires a lot of extra work to replace now? The other guy quoted me $120 a light to install new ones + the cost of the skylight. So I'm not sure if he missed the issue, or the other guy is making a big deal out of what should be a fairly easy job.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #5

Skylight replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruleslawyer View Post
The quote is for basic skylights. 3x fsc06 and 1x fsc01 installed. No interior work. They are already going to be doing the rest of the roof if they do the work.

Specifically-
"We will build up the roof as necessary around the openings of the skylight using unfinished lumber to
accommodate new skylights on top of the roof deck. There will be interior finishing work that will be necessary
on the part of the homeowner to accommodate the new positioning of the skylights."

What I guess I really need to know is the original some horribly non-standard way to do the skylight that requires a lot of extra work to replace now? The other guy quoted me $120 a light to install new ones + the cost of the skylight. So I'm not sure if he missed the issue, or the other guy is making a big deal out of what should be a fairly easy job.
The fsc series is deck mounted, so no curb would be required. Im not too sure what he is implying by the needed interior work, unless hes ordering skylights that dont fit perfectly?

I would expect the wood to be a little rotten around the old units, but other than that, especially with velux deck mounts it is a simple operation.

Curb mounts are more work, and require interior finishing, but I, and most roofers I know prefer them.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Metal Roofing

Skylight replacement

What is the roof pitch?

Is it two story?

If this is a normal pitch roof with no access issues i think 4k is crazy high and i would get other bids. The guy charging $120 per lid installed + the cost of the lids sounds completely reasonable.

I would still prefer curb mounts but if they are installed properly it shouldnt matter.

As for the way they are installed, i have seen far worse, those just appear to be an older type. I dont see flush mounted lids like that much but i do see curbs with a sheet of glass caulked to them...no joke.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 05-14-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

Skylight replacement

Its a moderate pitch roof. Maybe 30 degrees? The area they are installed in is vaulted, so no attic in that area of the house. Single story ranch.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Metal Roofing

Skylight replacement

Are you in FL by any chance ? you may be required to use impact glass type lids which are big $ and could account for the $4k.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #9

Skylight replacement

Nope, Chicago area.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
Metal Roofing

Skylight replacement

Your best bet will be to gather some more estimates and compare them. Weed out the obvious low baller and make sure the bids are specific so you’re comparing apples to apples.

Installing replacement lids in CA is probably not the same $ in your neck of the woods.

Also, just because they said 4k doesn’t mean it is not negotiable. 95% of the time I will drop my numbers especially if the HO asks and is already buying a roof from us.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
Architectural Sculptor

Skylight replacement

I second the Velux skylight, I bought mine on line 8 years ago and they were shipped to my door, they were EASY to install and have been totally leakproof. You'll like the Velux.

By the way, is your current roof Certainteed organic shingles by any chance? You might do well to investigate if they are, because there was a big class-action suit over defective shingles, I was one of the "lucky" ones who roofed my house with their 30 year shingles and they barely lasted 8 before showing damage.
I sent in all the required documentaion, photos etc and I rec'd a check for about $1,200, it was as I figure about a 125% "refund" on the materials which cost around $900. Doesn't pay for the lost time and other costs but I'll take $1,200 instead of zero any time.

Last edited by RWolff; 05-14-2013 at 08:11 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote