Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

skylight questions

I am getting ready to replace my 5-12 shingle roof. It has 2 Velux deck-mount skylights, and I've decided this is a good time to replace them with something newer and more efficient. They haven't leaked, but if I'm shelling out for a 30-year roof, now seems like a good time to replace them.

I was planning on replacing them with new deck-mount units, but local contractors seem to prefer curb-mount skylights, saying that they are easier to seal and offer greater protection against ice, snow, leaks (we live in an area of extreme cold and deep snow).

I haven't been able to find any information on which configuration (deck vs. curb) offers greater efficiency, specifically in terms of winter heat loss. It seems to me that with curbs being built of 2x4 or 2x6, the R-value of the curbs (~1.9) is low enough to offset any efficiency gains in the new fancy argon-filled double pane glass units; heat would be lost through the curbs. Having a skylight sealed directly to the deck should be technically better.

I realize that a skylight is a hole in the roof that will lose heat, but I want the most efficient units that are available.

any thoughts?

longshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

skylight questions

Hmmm

Look for the Insulating values in the manufacturer literature.

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 AM   #3

skylight questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshanks View Post
I am getting ready to replace my 5-12 shingle roof. It has 2 Velux deck-mount skylights, and I've decided this is a good time to replace them with something newer and more efficient. They haven't leaked, but if I'm shelling out for a 30-year roof, now seems like a good time to replace them.

I was planning on replacing them with new deck-mount units, but local contractors seem to prefer curb-mount skylights, saying that they are easier to seal and offer greater protection against ice, snow, leaks (we live in an area of extreme cold and deep snow).

I haven't been able to find any information on which configuration (deck vs. curb) offers greater efficiency, specifically in terms of winter heat loss. It seems to me that with curbs being built of 2x4 or 2x6, the R-value of the curbs (~1.9) is low enough to offset any efficiency gains in the new fancy argon-filled double pane glass units; heat would be lost through the curbs. Having a skylight sealed directly to the deck should be technically better.

I realize that a skylight is a hole in the roof that will lose heat, but I want the most efficient units that are available.

any thoughts?
You may want to check out the existing V-Lux skylights, they may be argon filled already.
Also putting in a deck mount means removing the drywall in the skylight well. I am sure your contractor doesn't want this mess on his hands.
There is nothing wrong with the deck mount flashing but you are creating an added finishing expense & the deck mount has wood sides as well that are even thinner than a 2x6
Dale Chomechko
DC Roofing Inc
Dale Chomechko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #4

skylight questions

I checked with Velux, and they stated that the deck mount units were considerably more efficient than the curb mount units. They also advised that the new units are somewhere between 20-40% more efficient than what I have. I have had no problems with my existing deck mount skylights, so I bought 2 new ones yesterday. Old ones going to wife's garden shed

The rough opening in my roof doesn't appear to have been sized properly for the existing skylights, and the new units are about an inch narrower than the old ones, so I have decided to re-frame the top of the skylight tunnels and prepare a more weathertight deck/subframe for the new skylights. I am going to remove the old ones and install the new ones, then leave it up to my roofer to flash them, and install felt, ice and water shield, etc. and re-shingle.

2 questions

1) can I use standard door and window silicon to seal the skylight to the deck/subframe, or is there a better product? It will be screwed to the sheathing, but a tight seal is needed.

2) Velux factory flashing or 'custom' flashing made by the roofer? They say theirs is 'bigger and better' than Velux' flashing.

Last edited by longshanks; 03-15-2010 at 12:10 PM.
longshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

skylight questions

I have never needed any type of caulk for a Velux skylight. I have never seen anyone make a better flashing kit than that of the mfg. It is both better and cheaper to go with the Velux flashing. There are no wrapped/cut corners with the Velux flashing, and it is designed for the product.

This is just making no practical roofing nor fiduciary sense.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote