Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,296
Rewards Points: 1,032
Question

Skylight Install: How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?


The instructions that came with Velux call for a 38" x 62" rectangular workspace around the skylight curb.

Q1: Should I set the asphalt paper before installing the curb, i.e. set the curb on top of the paper so that the paper is sandwiched between the curb and the roof sheathing or should i first install the curb and then simply have the paper go butt the curb?

Q2: I understand the new paper should be tucked into the old paper on top and lap the old paper in the bottom, for water drainage. However, it is unclear to me how I should integrate the old and new paper on the sides, just butt them or lap them and in the case of latter in which direction and by how much? Please see the exhibit.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Skylight Install:  How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?-skylightasphaltpaperretrofit.jpg  

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,607
Rewards Points: 1,030
Default

Skylight Install: How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?


Mount the curb, run the felt up it's sides couple of inches. Bend it in tightly because the felt makes it hard to keep the step flashing tight.
Lap the old felt 6" to the sides, 3" bottom, and under 3" at the top.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,607
Rewards Points: 1,030
Default

Skylight Install: How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?


Oh, I put Permanant Sealer -gutter sealer on the undersie and top side of the hemmed together seams of the rear pan, just in case water gets into them. If moisture gets there and freezes, it could cause splits and leaks.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (06-04-2012), rossfingal (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western suburbs, Chicago, Il.
Posts: 2,681
Rewards Points: 2,040
Default

Skylight Install: How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?


Use "Ice and Water Shield" -
up the sides of the curb -
against the roof.
Felt is better than nothing, though!!
"RF"
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,296
Rewards Points: 1,032
Default

Skylight Install: How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?


Thanks, however, no one really answered the 2nd question. The lap vs. butt pertains to the outside perimeter of the new felt (patch) where it meets the old one. On the exhibit, it is where the gray area meets the red, which is shingle, actually more like the old felt under that shingle.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Member
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 2,785
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Skylight Install: How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Mount the curb, run the felt up it's sides couple of inches. Bend it in tightly because the felt makes it hard to keep the step flashing tight.
Lap the old felt 6" to the sides, 3" bottom, and under 3" at the top.
tinner answered that




Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post
Use "Ice and Water Shield" -
up the sides of the curb -
against the roof.
Felt is better than nothing, though!!
"RF"
Velux has their own s.a. in the flashing kit and they accept no substitute...i know,i know but it's in the instructions
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Skylight Install: How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?


After mounting your curb, use the VELUX provided ice and water shield (assuming that you purchased the VELUX flashing kit) The ice and water shield goes to the top of the curb and out to the side of the curb and it is placed directly on the sheathing. You can then install new underlayment over the ice and water shield and then terminate it under the old underlayment. Do not use any kind of sealant/tar with the ice and water shield or the VELUX flashing system as you can void the warranty. The VELUX skylights come with a ten year no leak warranty as long as you follow the installation instructions.
skylightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skylightguy For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,296
Rewards Points: 1,032
Question

Skylight Install: How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Mount the curb, run the felt up it's sides couple of inches. Bend it in tightly because the felt makes it hard to keep the step flashing tight.
Lap the old felt 6" to the sides, 3" bottom, and under 3" at the top.
i am sorry, i didn't see this post when i said that no one answered the 2nd question. does it matter whether i lap new over old or tuck new under old ?
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,607
Rewards Points: 1,030
Lightbulb

Skylight Install: How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
i am sorry, i didn't see this post when i said that no one answered the 2nd question. does it matter whether i lap new over old or tuck new under old ?
No. Not on the sides.

BTW, I hope you didn't misconstrue their instructions to mean that you cut that exact work area out in a straight line! You have to remove nails from the shingles and keep them intact for reinstallation. The shingle joints do not line up like the area drawn. Your exact work area will be determined by those joints!

The felt is primarily to keep water out while the job is open. After the shingles are back on, it's purpose will be to provide a barrier between the flashing and the inside air to prevent any condensation. It will not do any waterproofing.


OH, A tip! If the step-flashings are bent square, or slightly oversquare, flex them a bit to about 80-85 degrees. Force them against the skylight for a tight fit and then nail them. Failure to do so can create vertical gaps where the contact each other and rain can be blown in. That will cause leaks no matter what product is used under the shingles.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,607
Rewards Points: 1,030
Exclamation

Skylight Install: How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?


Quote:
Originally Posted by skylightguy View Post
After mounting your curb, use the VELUX provided ice and water shield (assuming that you purchased the VELUX flashing kit) The ice and water shield goes to the top of the curb and out to the side of the curb and it is placed directly on the sheathing. You can then install new underlayment over the ice and water shield and then terminate it under the old underlayment. Do not use any kind of sealant/tar with the ice and water shield or the VELUX flashing system as you can void the warranty. The VELUX skylights come with a ten year no leak warranty as long as you follow the installation instructions.
I'm glad to see Velux is now covering roof installation issues too. They used to only warranty the skylights. Nice.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,296
Rewards Points: 1,032
Question

Skylight Install: How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
No. Not on the sides.
what does that mean? should i NOT lap them on the sides? that means butt them one against the other on the sides (kind of like you would do two sheets of drywall)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
BTW, I hope you didn't misconstrue their instructions to mean that you cut that exact work area out in a straight line! You have to remove nails from the shingles and keep them intact for reinstallation. The shingle joints do not line up like the area drawn. Your exact work area will be determined by those joints!
got that. thanks
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Pro Slate Roofer
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,607
Rewards Points: 1,030
Default

Skylight Install: How to Retrofit New Asphalt Paper?


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
what does that mean? should i NOT lap them on the sides? that means butt them one against the other on the sides (kind of like you would do two sheets of drywall)?



got that. thanks
It means that is does NOT matter whther the new or the old is on top of the laps to the sides. Generally, it just goes on top of the old.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (06-06-2012)
Reply

Tags
skylight


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diagonal Hardwood Install Advice JDeFuria Flooring 7 06-29-2009 04:35 PM
contact paper removal scatterbrain Remodeling 2 07-06-2008 08:57 AM
#15 asphalt paper underlay for hardwood ? basledder Flooring 3 03-07-2008 04:02 PM
regular roofing asphalt paper under 3/4" wood floor? zel Flooring 4 07-13-2007 12:02 AM
health concern of asphalt felt paper for hardwood underlayment rrbb Flooring 2 09-04-2006 10:10 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.