Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #1

Share |

Skylight causing leak??

Guys,

Just noticed a yellowish area near my bathroom skylight. When I touched it, it was soft and I could pick pieces right off. It hasn't rain in couple of weeks, I never notice any dripping. I can't find signs of leaking anywhere else surrounding the area...only thing I can think of is water slowly seeping through and building up from the skylight?? The roof was replaced in 2011, but the skylight is still the original from 1992. It sits at a slant as opposed to being flat and directly overhead. I bought this house in 2011 and didn't notice anything in last 1.5 yrs. Any idea on cause?? Thanks in advanced!

need2speed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

Skylight causing leak??

I'd go on the roof and check for any missing, damaged flashing.

Is there a fan in this bathroom and are you using it everytime the shower is used and letting it run a few min after the shower stops. I'm thinking out loud that it could be condinsation forming on the window and running down.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Skylight causing leak??

Good advice Joe.

Check the flashing on the skylight and look for excessive debris around it as well.

The concentration of the staining leads me to believe that it is an actual leak vs condensation but we have certainly seen condensation create seasonal issues as well.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #4

Skylight causing leak??

I have had luck fixing some minor skylight leaks by getting on the roof and looking around like other suggest. I had some leaks in my skylights and when I went on the roof I could see where some of the caulking around the flashing had dried out and separated. I scraped off some of the old caulking and recaulked, that solved my issues. I don't remember exactly what caulk I used but it said it was for roofs on the tube.
I would say to not concentrate on that lower corner that shows the leak. Water could be getting in up higher on the slope and traveling down to the lower spot before dripping onto that corner.
NHtransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #5

Skylight causing leak??

as joe and wow said, go on the roof and look for debris.

when I went up to my roof last week to blow off some leaves, i was amazed to find tons of crap that got stuck all around the skylight flashings.

remember to bring up a stiff brush and plastic scraper for easy cleanup. i would not use metal scrapers and/or slot screwdrivers, as you might rip shingles.

good luck

ps. before apply cement, make sure you understand how flashing / counter flashing work with your skylight. applying cement the wrong way might create more work. any questions, post some pictures here so pros can guide you.
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

Skylight causing leak??

I can relate to your problem and have determined there are two types of sky lights. The 2 types are, those that leak and those that are going to leak. Those without flashing leak sooner than those that are flashed and a caulking gun repair is temporary at best. So the quicker you can get it removed the more you can be assured water won't follow a rafter down to the wall and set the interior of the wall up perfectly for mold growth.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #7

Skylight causing leak??

Thanks for all the response! Yes there is a bathroom fan (working) and we do use it. I'm not sure how condensation would build up on the walls. Would there be condensation build up inside the walls? Since I'm not handyman by any means, I hired a roofer to look at it. He put a tarp over the skylight until he can get an inspector out there to take a look. He said the roof looks great with no debris. He also said they have rip up the shingles to get more info. Does this sound right? Finally, I'm still puzzled on how this occurred since it hasn't rained in at least a month and there aren't any pipes running through there . Hopefully this won't cost me thousands of dollars to fix
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Skylight causing leak??

If the leak is without the presence of rain, I would check the roof for morning dew and look critical at the skylight after a shower.

If you get enough condensation on the glass during a shower (very likely in the winter months with the surface temps are low), it can run down the bubble and drain in a prominent corner and run inside the wall corner.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
RFN-4A-LVN

Skylight causing leak??

If it were me I would find out the name of the roofing company that installed the roof.Most companies have at least 3 year leak free workmanship warranties.If your roof is still within the warranty period they should repair the leak for you.

Also if the leak isn't a direct result of workmanship but the age of the skylight you would get a much better deal with them versus another company.Not only are they showing responsibility by inspecting the roof but they are picking up a new customer.

As Windows pointed out it could be a condensation issue.That happens a lot.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 10-03-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #10

Skylight causing leak??

Ok, final verdict is the skylight's seal has been compromise. The water get through slowly and collects in that spot. This particular roofer is charging me 2K because they need to rip off the shingles around it and redo it. I choose not to use the other roofers from 1.5 yrs ago because apparently they did it a shabby job in replacing the ridge line vents. Somehow, they made the holes too big and used plywood to seal it and then shingles on top. Also, supposedly they use 3 feet of something for snow and ice when the ideal is 6ft because we're in Nebraska?? Anyway, thanks for all the advice and help.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
Exterior Construction

Skylight causing leak??

Good luck.

Post up some after pictures.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #12

Skylight causing leak??

My roofer fixed mine recently for a 100 bucks when a roof job followed a hail storm. I had him pitch it in the dumpster, frame the opening for sheathing and apply felt topped with shingles. A light in its place will work after sun set.

Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote