Siding Replacement - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Siding Replacement

I am planning to remove my old cedar vertical siding and replace it with LP Smartside lap. I will be doing this one section at a time starting with my two gable ends. My question is this, do I need to remove the siding from entire gable or can I 'work my way up'. Can I remove say the first 4 or 5 feet from the ground and replace that and then remove another 4 or five feet until I reach the top? Other than the potential for damaging the new siding is there any inherent issue that you see with this method?

The reason I ask is because I am working alone and I did not want to leave the entire wall exposed to the elements. I'll be adding new Tyvek as I go.

Thanks,

Advertisement

ksmith17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 860

Siding Replacement

You can do it that way but Tyvek comes in 9' rolls and it will be a pita.How about your corners.What length are they?What kind of window trim do you have?Both could interfere with your plan.

Advertisement

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #3

Siding Replacement

Thanks, I found Tyvek in 3 foot rolls and I would overlap and tape. Good point on the corners, they are 8' 3". I could remove a vertical piece on each side so I could install the corners first. As for the window, there is only one and that would be in the second section.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 572

Siding Replacement

Just not a good plan.
That would defeat the whole reason for the house wrap, and make the job take far longer.
Tyvek can be left exposed for a while so there's no reason not to just strip all the siding on that section and use a solid piece.
Trying to side a house with one person is going to be a real challenge without some special tools and equipment.
Do you have pump jacks, or at least 24' walk boards, 2, tall enough 250 Lb. cap. ladders, ladder stand offs, ladder jacks, and a set of siding hooks to hold the siding in place while your installing.
Once you meet the minimum # of post needed to post pictures please do so, so we can see what your seeing and not have to guess what your up against.
What made you chose Smart side? There's better choices available.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #5

Siding Replacement

I have a set of werner pump jack and and a 30' pick. I also bought the gecko gauges for smartside. As to my siding choice, I did not like vinyl, I looked at fiber cement and smartside and choose smartside based on look and the fact that it could be cut with traditional tools and handled by my self easier.

I live on a lake in upsate ny.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Siding Replacement

no real reason you can't do it like that,but like you said keeping debris off the new siding can be a problem
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,020

Siding Replacement

Go for it. The Tyvek is your housewrap (water resistive barrier) which can be pieced as long as it is applied properly, "shingle" style. Taping the laps makes it an air-barrier. You could tack some Tyvek over the top few courses to deflect sawdust without fastening bottom edge... remove it for night sounds.

How is the cavity insulation/vapor retarder?

Gary
Old 05-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Siding Replacement

+1. Smart side is good stuff, just be sure to follow manufacturer instructions on seam gapping, painting cut edges, etc.

Advertisement