Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #1

Share |

siding,insulation and windows

I am saving up to replace my windows while removing my old siding, adding more insulation to the exterior {formular?}, and residing. I have 2' overhangs, so there is no issue with the amount of insulation I can add.
I am thinking of adding 1" of foam, tyvek, new windows, then the siding.
I haven't researched the foam yet, so I may not need the tyvek, just tape the joints.
Any problems with my proposed installation? Any suggested changes? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #2

packer_rich! Sounds like a great project. This is Jim from DuPont. It’s a good idea to use a Tyvek weather barrier with exterior foam. You can use DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® on top of the foam or Tyvek® DrainWrap™ under it. Either way, our building scientists do not recommend taping the seams of the foam and skipping the Tyvek WRB. This is because exterior foam insulation is dimensionally unstable and can expand and contract with changing temperatures and humidity levels. This “movement” can eventually lead to a failure of the taped seam and now you are exposing your wall to water and air penetration that can lead to mold, water damage and cause your HVAC systems to run more—costing you money. In short, we recommend you always use a Tyvek WRB with exterior foam insulation. Hey, and don’t forget to flash those window openings when you remove the old windows. Flashing is a great tool to help seal windows which can be highly vulnerable to water leakage. Here is a helpful PDF if you need any other information, http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weather...h_Bulletin.pdf.

Last edited by DuPontTyvek; 07-24-2013 at 08:14 AM.
DuPontTyvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #3

I am no expert, but the guys I hired to do my siding did this: tear away, wrap the entire house in certainteed certawrap (appears superior to tyvek? not positive), then put up 3/4 XPS insulation, tape all of the insulation joints with certainteed brand tape, wrap all of the windows and doors (and where it meets the brick) with trim coil, then apply roofing-style tape (not sure what it was but it was impressively heavy duty and the adhesive was crazy) over the joints between the trim coil and insulation, then j-channels, then siding.

Here's a few pics of them partway through that shows some of it.

Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys. I'm not familiar with that insulation foam. Must be open cell if they put the house wrap on underneath? What kind of siding are you using? Thanks again
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #5

Keep in mind if you add that foam to the outside walls it's going to effect every window and door openings trim.

Makes no since to me to install house wrap then foam over it.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
Pro Slate Roofer

Here's a tutorial that shows why you can't rely on tyvek and tape, and how to correctly do openings. 99% or spec'd instructions show how to guide the water behind the siding and after time when the WB goes bad, or there are openng in it, or nails penetrating it, the rot starts.
The ideal plan is to keep the water out, not in.

http://www.albertsroofing.com/Window%20Flashing.htm

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote