Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2005, 02:56 PM   #1

Share |

siding distance from shingles?

I am re-siding a portion of my house and I'm wondering what the distance should be between those pieces of siding that are adjacent to the roof shingles. The original plan I had was to place them right up against the shingles and then run a bead of caulk between them, but was told I should leave about a 3/8" gap and not to caulk "so that the rain can flow down appropriately." Any thoughts on the right distance and whether or not to caulk? Thanks, Matt

matchupeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #2

No caulk on a roof. The siding should have flashing behind it, if possible replace it while the siding is off. Bring the siding down to within 3/8" or so of the roof. If there is no flashing, install some. If you don't know how, ask here or hire a professional roofer.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:29 PM   #3

Is this a wall above a shingled roof?
mighty anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:12 AM   #4
Commercial Roofing

I bet it is. If it is, no caulk should be needed or wanted. Like to see a 3/8" between the shingles and the siding. When materials touch, capillary action plays into the scenario.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:40 AM   #5

If it is a wall on top of sloped roof shingles, sheet metal step-flashing should be used and I would hold the wood siding a minimum of 1" off of the roof shingles in a warm climate and 2" in a cold climate. If the wall extends beyond the eave of the roof, metal "kick-out" flashing should be installed to keep water from running down the siding.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:23 PM   #6

Thanks for all your helpful responses!
matchupeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:34 PM   #7

I vote 1-1/2" off the roof. On the angles lay a 2x4 on the roof and cut the siding to fit to the 2x4. Pull out the 2x4 and you should have a straight line... Theoretically.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:35 AM   #8
Commercial Roofing

Why so much?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 10-30-2005, 07:00 AM   #9

Room to dry, room for another layer of shingles, room for ice & snow.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:39 AM   #10
Commercial Roofing

Ok, Then, But You Myust Be Using 4x4x8 Inch Steps Flashings Then, Cuz The Baby Tins Aint Gonna Cut It.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:01 AM   #11

OK, I'll bite; what's a Baby Tin?

The NRCA suggests using 7 inch by 8 inch step flashing with a 4-inch leg onto the asphalt shingles and a 4-inch leg up the vertical surface with a 1" minimum space between the siding and the roofing shingles. I specify 8x8 16 oz copper. I have no faith in aluminum since step flashing should outlast the siding and no faith that a roofer knows which way a 7x8 should be bent. Maybe I've been doing this too long but I have no tolerance for premature roofing failures.

The NRCA also recommends: "The finish siding should be brought down over the flashing to serve as cap flashing but should be held far enough away from the shingles so that the ends of the boards may be readily painted ..."

I recommend a 1" minimum gap plus 1/2" or more for a future second layer of shingles (this is yankee country). Hammerslammer's use of a flat 2x4 is an excellent method since it ensures a uniform sight line.

Last edited by mighty anvil; 10-31-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:23 PM   #12

Just a little note on step flashing and how things are different in different areas. I came from NJ. 30 years ago and remember step flashing but can say for certain it is not used in my area at all. We normally use a 4x5 and use some kind of sealant where the shingle meets the metal. We are semi-arid but can get some torrential downpours. 2 days of constant rain would be extremely rare. I also contribute the non-use of step flashing with the use of t-lok type shingles. I would estimate that 80% of the roofs in this area were t-lok and in my opinion t-lok's are harder to stepflash. I think the trend twards the laminate shingles may change the flashing procedures in this area and also we went from the UBC to the International code in Sept.> Mighty, I see flitch plates mentioned in other forums and would like your opinion on them. I will post my question on another thread. HS
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:38 AM   #13
Commercial Roofing

OK a baby tin is a 2.5"x2.5"x7" step flashing. In my opinion, these are too small, and you see them everywhere in my area. I do not use them. I use 4"x4"x8" step flashings.

Thanks for the insult, though. What do you do for a living, anvil?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #14

I'm not sure what the insult was but none was intended. I'm an architect in Boston.