Siding Discolor - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 558

Siding Discolor

We installed new windows and there were shutters on the siding. We really don't want to put shutters on again but the vinyl siding is now a different color where the shutters were. I guess the sun lightened the siding where there were no shutters. Is there anyway to get this the same color without have to track down and buy the same vinyl----- is even still available? THanks.

Sorry pics below.

Advertisement

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #2

Siding Discolor

here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Siding Discolor-photo-12-copy.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 602

Siding Discolor

New original siding would be the color of the area under where the shutters where.
May have to take a piece of that siding and get it color matched where it's faded and get a Qt. of paint and just paint it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #4

Siding Discolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
New original siding would be the color of the area under where the shutters where.
May have to take a piece of that siding and get it color matched where it's faded and get a Qt. of paint and just paint it.
Wow...you can do that? They make paint for vinyl siding? Thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Siding Discolor

I would not even attempt to paint it. If you leave it to the sun, the siding might fade and even out pretty quickly. Otherwise, Pick a nice contrasting color, paint the shutters, and re install them.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,278

Siding Discolor

One thing you might consider is washing down your vinyl siding. As a painter I have had houses with that exact problem. The vinyl has oxidized and where the shutters have been, the vinyl remains almost new. It's worth a shot. Normally I like to avoid using a pressure washer on vinyl but this may be a case where it could really blast off that chalky oxidation. Maybe start in the back and test an inconspicuous area to see if it will work. I would buy some Krud Kutter and mix it in a garden pump sprayer with water. Wet the siding and then apply some of the KK mix and let it work. Use a stiff bristle brush on a pole to do some scrubbing. Let it work for 10 minutes or so but don't let it dry. Blast it off with pressure washer dialed in fairly low pressure........no more than 1500 psi.

Like I said, this isn't an ideal solution, in fact, it might not work at all but it's worth a shot. I have been able to bring back old, oxidized vinyl siding in the past using this process. Doesn't always work, but many times it does.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #7

Siding Discolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
One thing you might consider is washing down your vinyl siding. As a painter I have had houses with that exact problem. The vinyl has oxidized and where the shutters have been, the vinyl remains almost new. It's worth a shot. Normally I like to avoid using a pressure washer on vinyl but this may be a case where it could really blast off that chalky oxidation. Maybe start in the back and test an inconspicuous area to see if it will work. I would buy some Krud Kutter and mix it in a garden pump sprayer with water. Wet the siding and then apply some of the KK mix and let it work. Use a stiff bristle brush on a pole to do some scrubbing. Let it work for 10 minutes or so but don't let it dry. Blast it off with pressure washer dialed in fairly low pressure........no more than 1500 psi.

Like I said, this isn't an ideal solution, in fact, it might not work at all but it's worth a shot. I have been able to bring back old, oxidized vinyl siding in the past using this process. Doesn't always work, but many times it does.
KK is good stuff to use on vinyl? Thanks.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #8

Siding Discolor

Krud Kutter is going to clean the siding but do you O good in your case
That's older sidng with color faiding which was a big problum years ago.

Leaving it the way it is will take many years for it to faid out and match the exposed side.

Reinstall the shutters, paint it to match or just deal with the look for the next few years.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,278

Siding Discolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Krud Kutter is going to clean the siding but do you O good in your case
That's older sidng with color faiding which was a big problum years ago.

Leaving it the way it is will take many years for it to faid out and match the exposed side.

Reinstall the shutters, paint it to match or just deal with the look for the next few years.
That's why I said to give it a shot in an inconspicuous area.......there's no guarantee, but in many cases that white oxidation will come off and you would at least be pretty close to the original color found under the shutters. Much better to try this which is easier than trying to color match a FADED vinyl area.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #10

Siding Discolor

Sounds logical but what there going to find is that color is gone and not coming back.
I have to deal with this all the time. One I'm working on now the customer thought the siding was white it was so faided. He had extra pieces under the house with the same info on the back side of it as the old stuff on the house.
Hold it up to the old and one is a light maple color the other is pure white even though it says Maple right on the panel.
He tryed using 3M fiberglass restorer, TSP, even Ajax, yup still white.
On the shady side of the house the new and old match.
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-25-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #11

Siding Discolor

Is KK the best thing to use if just want to clean the vinyl?

Advertisement