Siding Behind Rafter Tail - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2015, 10:59 PM   #1
Electrician

Rewards Points: 42

Siding behind rafter tail

Hello all. New to this forum and new to home ownership. I work in the trades (electrician) so I am very handy so I am doing a lot of the work on the house we just bought myself and learning along the way.

I am looking into re-siding the house in the near future with hardie plank but as I am looking around the house, there are a few spots that aren't so clear to me as to what the proper installation would be.

In the front of the house, the garage roof and main roof meet and the valley ends right over the front door. The rafter tail for the main roof is up tight against the siding on the garage. The existing siding is 3/8" T1-11 so I will most likely be installing the hardie plank over the existing siding, but with this rafter tail up tight against the T1-11, it would not be possible to run the hardie all the way up this wall in this spot.

The other spot is at the same wall, where our front step nearly butts up to the garage wall siding.

Thanks in advanced for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Siding behind rafter tail-20151019_165229.jpg   Siding behind rafter tail-20151019_165244.jpg  

Advertisement

b.kelly707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 11,514

Only can tell you what I would do if I was in your position.
#1, Looks like you have no soffit venting which is a big deal.
Back up and take a picture of the whole house we can not see if it's single story or more.
I'd be enclosing those exposed rafters, and running the siding up to it.
The whole house needs to be covered with house wrap before siding. (Tyvek)
At the bottom of those walls you need to be adding At least 1 X 4 vinyl lumber, Z molding, then a kick out strip (vinyl lattice or pressure treated will work) because Hardie plank needs to be at least 2" above grade.
Siding blocks need to be added around any lights, outside outlets, cable and telephone boxes, outside faucets.
Sure you do not want to go with vinyl siding? A whole lot easier to install, no painting, less expencive, no special tools needed.
Please do not even try to used and of the Hardie trim or soffit material.
I charge double when having to do Hardie plank because it's so much more work.
Still going to do it do yourself a favor and buy a real siding nailer.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
Electrician

There is some soffit venting around the house, maybe I need to add some more though. It is a single story home, I considered enclosing the soffit but I wasn't sure if I really wanted to do that. I was planning on wrapping the house in #15 felt before siding. Definitely don't want to do vinyl siding not matter how much easier and cheaper it is.

I don't mind the extra work, just want to make sure I get it right the first time and I think its worth any extra, special tools, I have already picked up a siding nailer in preparation for this work.

Thanks for your advice
Old 10-20-2015, 12:03 AM   #4

15 Lb felt is cheaper but no way would I use it.
Worked on far to many houses where it cause the wood to rot out behind it.
We have no idea what the whole house looks like or even where it is, so no idea what would look best.
Check out the Certainteed website and check out the design center for ideas.
There beaded soffit looks great.
Missing the boat most people just see track homes with vinyl siding and think that's all there is.
http://www.certainteed.com/idea-center
Old 10-20-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
Electrician

Here is a shot of the house from the street.

House is in California
Attached Thumbnails
Siding behind rafter tail-20150729_095234.jpg  

Last edited by b.kelly707; 10-20-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:00 AM   #6

No roof venting?
Are the fascia's wrapped in coil coil stock?
You could run the siding all the way to the top of the walls, but it would be very labor intensive and just not look right.
I'd use beaded soffit to close that in, wrap the fascia with coil stock.
No more exposed wood to deal with, no more places for wasp nest.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Electrician

No roof venting, just gable vents. No coil stock, there is actually no fascia, just the gutter hanging of the end of the rafter tail.

I like the look of the beaded soffit, I'm just concerned that enclosing it will make it look even shorter than it is
Old 10-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,650

Welcome to the forum!

Check to see if the front door header trim will clear, would look awful to me. Are the other houses in your tract closed or open soffit... Use an angle grinder to cut a sloping trench-line to drain the flashing you need on the concrete landing for positive drainage away from the house/landing joint. What is the vent for, with the termination hood next to the condensate drain?

Gary
Old 10-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
Electrician

Gary, you are right. The roof ends below the top of the door, so the enclosed soffit is out of the question. Can you explain to me what you mean by cutting a shopping trench-line? The vent you are seeing is the dryer vent.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 146

This is personal preference, but I would not enclose the soffit. Your house seems to be a classic vaguely-craftsman California ranch. Open eaves are a hallmark of that style/era! I have a 20s craftsman with open eaves. I recently added some soffit venting in an area using those circular round vents.
roobinsteen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 268

I also have open eaves. I got a few estimates for siding this summer, and only 1 out of 4 contractors suggested I enclose the soffits. Other similar homes on my block all enclosed their soffits/covered their eaves when they did vinyl siding and it ruined the look of the house, in my opinion. Mine will remain open. The rafter tails are all in good shape after 100 years, the underside of the roof sheathing is ornate beadboard, and I don't want to lose the original feel of the house.

This is also why I won't consider vinyl siding...I have fiber-cement panel siding now, and I'll be replacing it with Hardie plank in a year or two. Fortunately there aren't any ridiculous rules about asbestos containing siding here as long as you're not grinding it into dust. $53/ton to dump at our landfill.

Every other house on our block has vinyl, and I'm sorry to the vinyl lovers out there, but I can spot it, regardless of style, from a mile away. It just looks tacky to me. It has its place, but not on a 100 year old house (yes that's my opinion).

I have a finished 3rd floor (attic) and no soffit venting. The last roof on this house lasted 31 years, even the south-facing roof face. All I have is gable end vents (small triangular open area above the ceiling in the third floor) and a power vent in the middle. Haven't had any issues, but my climate is likely colder than yours for most of the year.

Advertisement

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote