Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Should I worry about this setup?

I noticed my bathroom fan is ducted in a way that it comes out of a hole under the overhang, instead of an actual chimney. I never really gave that hole much thought and assumed the fan vented through the plumbing vent and that hole must of been for something that has been removed, but upon further reading this is not how it would be done as there would be sewer vapours coming into the bathroom through the fan. Upon closer inspection the hole actually has a little vent cover on it.

This is causing lot of ice building up the gutter of the next roof (split level house) and icicles. I am not 100% positive it's that, but I can't see what else, it's the only area that has icicles and no matter what the weather is like they seem to always look "fresh" which is probably from having taken a shower.

Here is a pic of the situation:
Attached Thumbnails
Should I worry about this setup?-dsc02852.jpg  

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #2

This covers your problem- insulation/ventilation/air leakage/fan exhaust: http://bct.nrc.umass.edu/index.php/p...ting-ice-dams/

If needed: http://www.homeenergy.org/consumerinfo/roofs.php

I don't see any vents in the soffit, figure your NFVA: http://www.fureyco.com/content/image...ng_The_Air.pdf

Be safe, Gary

Old 01-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

It's perforated soffits but I do believe there is plywood, that's a project I want to check next year as if there is plywood I may need to put in some vents, I will look at if I can just remove the plywood completely, if it's not holding anything.

As for the bathroom fan should I make it exhaust directly on top instead of the way it is now? (you can see the vent where the soffit meets with the lower roof).

Should I remove all that ice as it builds up? I'm thinking of going up there with a blow dryer or something. Bad/Good idea?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #4

The ice is from lack of ventilation to remove the heated air leaks from over the exterior walls. I would cut-in some vents at the soffits near the fascia board: http://books.google.com/books?id=Z8a...lation&f=false

Yes, extend the fan duct through the roof to remove it from heating the snow causing ice. Here is the best way to insulated low-sloped roofs at the exterior wall: http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/he...96/961110.html
Did you check that site with the types of soffit venting to figure yours? Have you been in the attic over the iced area? I would not remove it, but ventilate now. If you remove the warm air, the snow won't melt forming ice layers.

Be safe, Gary
Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Meanwhile what is the best way to remove this ice? It's too cold to be doing work outside at this point so fixing the cause will have to wait. I'm thinking a blow dryer or heat gun, but would breaking it up with a hammer be ok or would that cause damage? I'm thinking the heat gun route may be the best bet.

I'll have to see if I can put a flex duct to lead the bathroom exhaust off the roof for now as I'm pretty sure this is the problem in my case, but I do also need to fix my attic ventilation this summer.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 01-03-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #6

I wouldn't go to heavy on breaking the ice, of course you don't want to damage the roof or gutter. Couple things come to mind, you could use a snow/roof rake to drag the snow off, letting the sun melt the ice for you. or you could melt it with warm water, use a garden hose attatched to inside faucet. What ever method you use, being in the middle of winter, you are most likely going to have to keep doing it until spring. I've been there before and mixing water, ladders and cold temps could get messy or unsafe.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

I went up today with my heat gun (actually bought it just for this purpose) and lets just say, the highest setting has nothing on that ice. It barely touched it! The ice is so solid filling the gutter, the most activity I saw was a bit of water and some crackling noises, that after holding it for at least a minute in one spot. My arm was getting tired.

I forgot I don't even own a ladder, so I stood on a garbage can lol. (that section is thankfully not very high off the ground). I don't really want to use too much physical force as I might do damage, so I might try the heat gun again if we get a day where it's hotter out. Been -20's or so lately.

I pulled some of the snow off with the shovel and it looks like the whole roof is an ice/hard snow mixture as well. I hope this wont cause water to seep under the shingles in spring when this melts.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #8

its easy to damage your shingles or gutters, try using a pushbroom, bristles up, if you have one, throw it up and drag it down toward you. Probably not a good idea standing on the garbage can. I understand preventive measures, but you might be better off, let it go for now. You don't want water leaking inside, I understand. Not sure how long you have had this set-up, but maybe you can test your luck and ride it out. be careful.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

It's my first winter in this house so I could be worrying for nothing too, maybe the previous owner just let it build up there and nothing bad happened. If I don't end up fixing it next year think I'll get some heat tape though.

There was mold in that attic though but it was on the other side and was either caused by a previous roof leak or the microwave vent being covered with snow (another vent I need to fix, I just don't use it for now). I actually did not venture in that part of the attic, I might want to check it out this spring. Too cold to go up there now!

And yeah the garbage can is not the safest, but I've done worse.

I remember having to manually focus a projector mounted about 50 feet in a church. 2 tables + 2 chairs brings me about half way, and a piece of baseboard did the rest. Funny thing, this was before a funeral. I said it might end up being a double funeral if something goes wrong.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #10

who does that part of roof belong to?
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

It's all my house. It's a split level so it has two roofs.

Bigger pic here.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #12

hi red squirrel

why not throw some salt on that ice. Either scatter it on, or throw a bunch in a tube sock to melt a ditch through the ice dam. That might help for this year, but I'd also suggest doing what the others have suggested, and improving your attic ventilation.

cheers
longshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
Wire Chewer

You know that's not a bad idea and there happens to be a bag of salt in the garage so I don't even need to go out and buy any.

Will salt have a negative effect on the shingles though?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #14

3) Suggested by a reader... fill an old pair of your pantyhose (or, if you don't own any, borrow some) with calcium chloride snow melt and lay it across the dam. If will help to melt the dam and also keep that area of the roof clear. DO NOT USE ROCK SALT... it will stain the roof and siding! BE CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE 'cause if the dam is too big you may increase the pool of water behind it! Best for small dams or prevention. Also a good idea to scrape the snow off the roof first. From: Don't do the last one, lol... http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infdam.html

Be safe, Gary