Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Should I add a downspout?

Hi, I'm looking for advice on whether I should add a downspout to the gutters on the front of my house. I've got an L-shaped tri-level home with a large sloping roof on the front. The front roof along with some of the second story roof drain into one 30 foot length of gutter on the front of the house. The water runs east along this 30 foot gutter, then turns 90 degrees and heads north for another 6 feet before reaching a downspout. The downspout drains the water about 10 feet away from the house. The first problem is that the water puddles between my house and the neighbor's house and makes a puddle. The neighbors house is on a slab, but I've got a basement with a sump pump that runs constantly so I'm concerned this is saturating the soil and making my sump run more. The sump drains far away from the house and doesn't run back. I also have a new fence that sits in the middle of the puddle. The second problem is that water collects halfway down the 30 foot length.

I'm thinking about adding a downspout at the end of the 30 foot length of gutter and run the downspout out towards the front lawn where it will drain towards the street. Anyone have an opinion about whether this is a good or bad idea? I can draw up a rough diagram if my description doesn't make sense.

scottyv81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #2

Most gutters are installed to pitch toward the downspout so you could end up with a full gutter if you change the end the downspout is on. If it is possable you should add some drainage pipe to the end of the downspout and get the water away from the house as far as possable.
One way to test if there is a pitch is to run your hose on the roof and see if it flows one way or the other. If no pitch then you could swap the ends.

Chris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #3

Sorry, I didn't clarify which end I was going to add it to. I'm thinking of adding the downspout just before the gutter makes the 90 degree turn. So the downspout would be at the same end of the house, I'd just be able to drain it to the front of my house instead of between the houses. I can't run the existing downspout towards the front because of landscaping and the pitch of the ground.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
RFN-4A-LVN

I apologize but without pix its difficult to give a useful and accurate reply,However I always install a 6" gutter on any lower level that has additional downspouts added.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #5

No worries, kinda hard to explain (and understand) without pics. Too dark to take a picture now so here's a diagram. Please forgive the amateur artwork. The view would be looking down on the house from above. Blue boxes are gutters. Red arrows are existing downspouts. Dashed red arrow is where I was thinking about adding the downspout.

I should also add that these gutters are pretty old. A new roof was put on the house before we moved in and I think the gutters got beat up in the process (dings, dents, holes). So I wouldn't be surprised if the pitch is off. I also noticed that in some spots the fascia cover doesn't cover all of the fascia board resulting in exposed board and gaps where I can see between the shingles and sheeting.

The more I type the more I'm convincing myself that I should probably call in a contractor.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

Homedepot and Lowes sale extensions that you can put at the end of the downspouts to choose where you want the water to end up draining. It is compatible to most end fittings an it is also flexible. They are not that expensive an easy to install. Good luck

Jc the roofer is offline   Reply With Quote