Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #1

Share |

Should I add 2 rotary turbine vents to roof to reduce summer heat?

Should I add 2 rotary turbine vents to roof to reduce heat?

Goal: Reduce heat in attic. Attic probably about 1200sq feet-a guess. House is 2 story 2400 sq feet.

House is in Charlotte, NC and the summers can get quite hot with the heat index. House is 12 years old. Brick front, vinyl siding.

The vents that reside in the attic are (non clogged-clean) soffit vents and several ridge vents. In the attic are 2 furnaces and 2 AC units.

I do not want to make things worse but rather better or in this case cooler in the attic to help keep the upstairs of the home cooler. AC units are fine, sized right and not leaking.

I am getting a new roof soon via insurance due to hail/wind damage.

I was wondering if adding 1-2 rotary turbine vents and/or a foil radiant barrier on attic sloping joists would benefit me in the summer months?

I certainly do not want to create a vacuum situation where cool air might be pulled from house into attic.

Thanks so much for any informed input
I appreciate it

Sincerely
Peter

pcumming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #2

I have two turbine vents on my roof and I don't think they do much..Just something else to maintain..I have seen some pretty trick solar powered roof vents, they have a fan in them to provide forced ventilation when the sun shines..
Fairwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

No.

PAV (Powered Attic Ventilators) are almost universally used incorrectly. They both use energy to run and almost always pull conditioned air from the space below.

If you are concerned about summer temps in the attic, you could install a radiant barrier across the rafters/trusses to reduce some of the radiant heat gain.

If you email me, I will send you a few attachments that will help detail this.

info@windowsonwashington.net

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #4

Definitely don't add solar or turbine vents.

I would check your local codes about roof ventilation. Sometimes there is a guideline. My local code states your total vent area to total ceiling area is 1:300 (sometimes you see 1:150). The top (ridge) or bottom (soffit) cannot be less than 25% of your total venting space. Again, this is my local code and the minimum requirement.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote