Shingles And Ventilation - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shingles and Ventilation

I am in the process of getting quotes to have my roof replaced. One contractor tells me that black shingles does not increase heat in the attic. He says all shingles are black anyway with colored gravel on top. He recommends dark shingles because they don't show stain. Also, my roof has a ridgevent, vented eaves and a power fan. He says the fan should be removed for proper ventilation. Lastly, which shingle is better, Tamco or Timberline?

Advertisement

brittmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shingles and Ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittmike View Post

I am in the process of getting quotes to have my roof replaced.

One contractor tells me that black shingles does not increase heat in the attic. He says all shingles are black anyway with colored gravel on top.

He recommends dark shingles because they don't show stain.

Also, my roof has a ridgevent, vented eaves and a power fan. He says the fan should be removed for proper ventilation.

Lastly, which shingle is better, Tamco or Timberline?
The temperature variance between a white shingle and a black shingle on a 90* sunny day, not including proper ventilation, is a bout 40*.

The same colored shingles temperature variance with a fully proper balanced ventilation system would be closer to 10* roof top surface temperatures.

A "Blended" color would also suit the need for reducing the visibility of showing stains. Some stains are due to organic debris turning to moss and lichens. Other stains are an asphalt bleeding effect or tobacco staining and others are directly related to insufficient ventilation.

Yes, the most common belief is to remove opposing exhaust ventilation systems. The powered attic ventialator will pull air in through the path of least resistance, thereby turning your ridge line exhaust vents into an intake vent. Remove the power vent.

I like Tamko, but others like Timberline. 6 of 1 and 1/2 a dozen of the other. The only consideration I have been hearing about from contractors who use GAF Timberline, is that they are concerned a little bit about the reduction of quality control since GAF bought out and merged the Elk brand into their fold. Either company makes good quality shingles. Just make sure the contractor installs the ventilation, gutter apron, gable edge drip edge, and other flashings properly.

A more detailed and precise proposal will inform you what they are contractualy obligating themselves to do, much more than a hand written one pager, made out at your home when they show up to measure the roof.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Shingles and Ventilation

USE ALGAE EATER SHINGLES FOR FUNGUS CONTROL,gAF/ELK MAKES A GREAT SHINGLE ,AS DOES TAMKO Heritage,usually choice is based on colors desired,with the proper attic insulation,soffit,and ridge venting,the darker shingle choices shouldn`t make a big difference(as far as attic and radiant heat affecting the home interior),the granules are made by 3M company which is working on it ,so soon it won`t mean anything,as it is the darker shingles will wear out slightly sooner,but with all factors treated properly,the roofs should each reach the life of their warranty period (New York climate)

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #4

Shingles and Ventilation

Thanks for the information... Another question, one contractor tells me that the Tamko 30 yr. architectural shingle requires 6 nails per shingle. If 6 nails are not used then the mfg. warranty is void. Another guy tells me only 5 nails is required. ???
Old 04-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #5

Shingles and Ventilation

4 nails are the standard for standard warranty requirements, but some high wind applications and steeper pitch/slope applications require 6 nail per shingle.

Check the manufacturers website for installation instructions to verify which brand you are considering and find out from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Ed
Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #6

Shingles and Ventilation

Thanks Ed!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #7

Shingles and Ventilation

Gaf master applicator requires 5 nails per shingle for timberlines with that upgraded warranty

Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #8

Shingles and Ventilation

Yeah, thats why I told him to check out the manufacturers specific specs for the required nailing pattern.

I had to check it out thouroughly last year on an Elk Capstone job, to see that they required 6 nails per shingle for the high wind warranty.

Ed
Old 04-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #9

Shingles and Ventilation

just pointing it out,that`s for the GAF extended warranty

Old 04-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #10

Shingles and Ventilation

That is not their standard nailing spec though, is it? Thats just for the higher wind warranty, right.

Ed
Old 04-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #11

Shingles and Ventilation

no it is for walkable roofs (ALL),to qualify for the master shingler extended warranty from gaf,that`s what you get when you pay gaf for their master applicator program,high wind is still minimal 6 possibly more with that program,I only was informed of it regarding the walkable roofs

Old 04-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #12

Shingles and Ventilation

I think you either you missed my point of the question or I misinterpret your answer.

What about just the plain old regular standard nailing pattern? Not for the extended wind warranty or any other situation about the master elite contractor.

I don't install GAF Timberlines very often, so is 4 nails the minimum required spec?

Advertisement