Shingles and tourch down
I have a ranch house with a 4/12 pitch. On the back is a porch addition that goes up partially on the existing house roof and has about a 2/12 pitch and is about 30 feet long.
I just had a new roof installed with GAF shingles on the 4/12 roof with torch down on the 2/12 roof. My question is should the drip edge go around the porch on top of the torch down with tar substance covering the drip all the way around the porch? If so I don't like it but I have to live with it. I never expected to see tar troweled on my job but I don't claim to know anything about roofing either.
Never seen it done that way. Only seen it under the roofing material.
What should the perimeter look like on a residential torch down roof? If the edge goes under the membrane shouldn't it have a finished edge somehow on top and around the torched down just to give it a finished look and to keep the wind from getting under it.
Anytime drip edge is applied over roofing material the fasteners are exposed.
Exposed fasteners + Element exposure = Roof failure
Flat roofing systems have a greater chance for failure.When the water pools or moves very slowly the water will find a penetration point even more so with snow and ice.
Roofmaster is absolutely correct. Here in Miami roofers torch flat additions a lot. Seems like every house has a Florida Room.
Simple Gaf Ruberoid Torch Granule System:
- Install GAFGLAS #75 or#80 base sheet to Code with roof nails and tin caps
- Torch a 10" strip Gaf Ruberoid Torch Smooth at eave
- A 1"X2" firring strip should be nailed along the top of the fascia to prevent water from running down the drip and onto the fascia. It's a spacer.
- Install 3"x3" 26ga galv drip-edge at eave and nail every 4 inches.
- Apply asphalt primer to deck-side flange of the drip-edge & allow to dry.
- Beginning at eave, proceed to torch rolls of Ruberoid Granule.
This technique sandwiches the drip-edge in rubber.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.|
Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved