Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shingles and Re-Roof

I used to work in the home improvement business several years ago, but haven't kept up with all the new products on the market. I am getting ready to re-roof my house. I have a few questions that I need answered, if you could help me on these.
1. I currently have IKO shingles which were installed in 1997. I am the 2nd owner of the home and the shingles are in terrible shape. I was told IKO is or was having problems with shingles from this time period. After looking into the problem, I found out that many states have class action law suits because of the manufacture defects. I am beginning the process of contacting IKO in regards to my roof only lasting 15 years even though the shingles were 25 or 30 year warranted.
Do you know if IKO has worked with homeowners on recovering some of their cost for re-roofing or vouchers for new shingles?

2. I can't wait long, so I am going to re-roof my house, approximately 33 square with GAF Timberline-HD-Lifetime-3Dimensional shingles. Is this a good product to select and any advice would be great.

3. Lastly, I have had 3 different quotes all over the board for tear-off and re-roof. $7800, $9600 and $14,000 respectively. I feel confident in doing the work myself to save money and to do a good job. What is a reasonable cost per square for re-roofing in my area, I live in Southeast, Michigan?

Thanks again for any advice you can give.

Jblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shingles and Re-Roof

I saved tons of money when I was building my sheds by going to builder's supply stores (not the big boxes) and asking if they had 'discontinued" shingles for a reduced price (out back in the shed). I picked up a ton of different shingles for around $2.00 a bundle and at one place I got enough of the same type to do 2 shed roofs! All new!
The photo shows the last area I did using the remainder of different types.
No leaks yet in 7 years, and since no-one ever sees this area, who cares what it LOOKS like? Give it a try! You may get real lucky and find enough to do your whole roof!

DM
Attached Thumbnails
Shingles and Re-Roof-shingles.jpg  

Roofmaster417 (04-22-2011), tpolk (04-22-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Shingles and Re-Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblood View Post
I used to work in the home improvement business several years ago, but haven't kept up with all the new products on the market. I am getting ready to re-roof my house. I have a few questions that I need answered, if you could help me on these.
1. I currently have IKO shingles which were installed in 1997. I am the 2nd owner of the home and the shingles are in terrible shape. I was told IKO is or was having problems with shingles from this time period. After looking into the problem, I found out that many states have class action law suits because of the manufacture defects. I am beginning the process of contacting IKO in regards to my roof only lasting 15 years even though the shingles were 25 or 30 year warranted.
Do you know if IKO has worked with homeowners on recovering some of their cost for re-roofing or vouchers for new shingles?

2. I can't wait long, so I am going to re-roof my house, approximately 33 square with GAF Timberline-HD-Lifetime-3Dimensional shingles. Is this a good product to select and any advice would be great.

3. Lastly, I have had 3 different quotes all over the board for tear-off and re-roof. $7800, $9600 and $14,000 respectively. I feel confident in doing the work myself to save money and to do a good job. What is a reasonable cost per square for re-roofing in my area, I live in Southeast, Michigan?

Thanks again for any advice you can give.
Iko's have just started appearing in my area, so I don't know much about them. They are slightly less expensive than other brands locally.

You're not gonna get much help here on price per square. Access, size, slope, landscaping, how many stories, sheathing condition, flashing, venting, etc all play into the price. There's got to be some type of breakdown on those three proposals. They're likely not apples to apples. Some roofing companies low ball a price to get the job and then get you with change orders/add-ons. Some cover everything up front so there are no surprises.

What brand did the roofers who bid the job recommend? Shingles are produced in regional factories and the quality seems to vary from plant to plant. GAF's are my last choice locally, but I know roofers in other regions who prefer them. The local roofers will likely know what brands to avoid. That being said, there's usually not a great deal of difference in the product quality from brand to brand. In my case, I prefer Certainteed shingles mainly because they have a great local representative. Any problems that arise are solved quickly and to my satisfaction.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Shingles and Re-Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I saved tons of money when I was building my sheds by going to builder's supply stores (not the big boxes) and asking if they had 'discontinued" shingles for a reduced price (out back in the shed). I picked up a ton of different shingles for around $2.00 a bundle and at one place I got enough of the same type to do 2 shed roofs! All new!
The photo shows the last area I did using the remainder of different types.
No leaks yet in 7 years, and since no-one ever sees this area, who cares what it LOOKS like? Give it a try! You may get real lucky and find enough to do your whole roof!

DM
That's an unusual stagger you've got going on there. DM.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shingles and Re-Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
That's an unusual stagger you've got going on there. DM.
Hey, I'm an unusual guy!

DM
seeyou (04-22-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
RFN-4A-LVN

Shingles and Re-Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Hey, I'm an unusual guy!

DM

Danger just invented his own technique description,,,,Danger if I may,,,,,,,,,,I name it the " Distinguished Detroit Dastardly Danger Diagonal "technique,,,,,,Hahahahaha,,,,,,,,,Nice

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote