Shingles Question - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

shingles Question

I am putting on new shingles to ones that already exist. Only half of the roof side is bad. My question is when connecting them to the existing shingles is there something to put in between the new and the old, for instance some type of caulking or roofing material. I wasn't quite sure if I have to have anything when lifting up the old shingle and adding the new ones to that row. I hope I am explaining this correctly. Would appreciate your help if at all possible.

Advertisement

mammaw810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 696

shingles Question

Not a great plan, but it can be done.
No caulking needed, the paper gets folded over the top and the the shingles just get ran to the peak and the cap covers the top.
It would be far better to add a ridge cap while your up there.
Bet you also using 3 tab shingles to, right?
How bad were the old ones?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

shingles Question

actually I am not going up that far with the shingles to the ridge cap. I am only going up about 5-6 rows, and working my way down to the spouting. a tree came down on the garage roof and it only messed up just a few rows. They are actually dimensional shingles and that is why I was wondering if I have to use anything to seal the row I am attaching the new shingles to. Just wasn't quite sure if I should use some type of seal there in that paticular row. Thanks again for your time.
mammaw810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

shingles Question

I would tear off the damaged shingles and replace with new of the same type/color. They will not match exactly but may over time. Going over dimensional shingle is not a good idea, especially just a small area. It will look bad.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

shingles Question

Are you by chance saying that your only planning on recovering a portion of the roof ?.,Ummm.,you should not do that.If your going to recover part of a section there is no proper way of sealing the last course on top.

If your not tearing the section off then recover the entire section.You cannot recover from the bottom about half way then decide thats enough.You need to start at the bottom and run the entire section to the peak.

Remove the ridge cap before you recover then install new ridge after the entire section is roofed.Never recover half way up.Recover the entire section or tear of the area that has the damage then just replace that area with new.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-07-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-08-2012), Windows on Wash (03-07-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

shingles Question

If I understand your question correctly, you'll be slipping new shingles under existing, breaking the existing seal. If that's the case, then it depends on the shingle. Some have the seal strip on the top, some on the bottom. If your shingles have the seal strip on the top, then no sealant is required where you finish under the existing. If you started out installing the patch shingles over existing, you'd need to seal the 1st new course to the old. Reverse that if the seal strip is on the bottom of the shingles.

Advertisement

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote