Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #1

Share |

shingles on one side curling

I have certainteed black shingles installed 15 years ago. The ones one the east side of of my house are exposed to the sun most of the day. They are curling but the ones not exposed to the sun are not curling. What would cause this?

Is it because they are black or exposed to the sun more or could it be I do not have enough ventilation coming in or going out? I have ridge vents.

The gables at the side of the house were covered with vinly siding when I had new siding put on my house but when I go to the attic I can still see the gables. Should I cover the gables from the inside? I quess what I am trying to say is the gables only have vinly siding and tyvek covering them. Is this ok?

Also I don't know if I have enough air coming into the attic but I can't figure out how to take the soffits off to get more air.

Last edited by jerry1967; 04-10-2008 at 08:09 AM.
jerry1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

the curling is occurring on the "sun"side of the house as that side probably gets the afternoon sun,which is more than the other side of the house
the soffit should have holes cut underneath the vinyl,the tyvek,and siding is enough to cover the gable vents with

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
BuilderRemodeler

Yes. Sorry a 20 Year Shingle life span is up on the sunny side.

There are quite a few different Attic Venting Options.

Your local supplier may be your best source for information.
darylbrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry1967 View Post
I have certainteed black shingles installed 15 years ago. The ones one the east side of of my house are exposed to the sun most of the day. They are curling but the ones not exposed to the sun are not curling. What would cause this?

Is it because they are black or exposed to the sun more or could it be I do not have enough ventilation coming in or going out? I have ridge vents.

The gables at the side of the house were covered with vinly siding when I had new siding put on my house but when I go to the attic I can still see the gables. Should I cover the gables from the inside? I quess what I am trying to say is the gables only have vinly siding and tyvek covering them. Is this ok?

Also I don't know if I have enough air coming into the attic but I can't figure out how to take the soffits off to get more air.
You answered your first question yourself, plus due to the lack of a proper balanced ventilation system, both Fresh Air Intake and also Proper Attic Exhaust, the entire system is only relying on thermal buoyancy rather than a complete air exchange for the ventilation.

If you have to pay someone to re-do the soffits, that would be one option.

Also, since half of the roof is already curled, you probably will be considering a new roof in the short term future.

At that time, if you are, I would recommend add ing the Smart Vent Intake Ventilation made by DCI Products, which is an shingle over style fresh air intake ventilation system.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #5

Thanks everybody. Ed I like the idea of the smart vent. Do you use it? Is it hard to do? Is the cost high?
jerry1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #6

The curling of shingles on one side of a home that gets more sun is a common problem. A black shingle will tend to wear out faster than a lighter colored shingle because the ambient temp. can be several degrees hotter on the surface. It doesn't sound like a ventilation issue caused the curling.

I would cover the gable vents from the inside of your attic with plywood.

Call a local roofing professional to conduct a roof and ventilation inspection. You are due for a new roof and he will be able to design a balanced ventilation system for you (intake and exhaust).

We use smart vent often with great results. This product has been a blessing for solving intake venting problems. The cost is usually cheaper than soffit ventilation work.

Last edited by Abraham Lincoln; 04-15-2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: word
Abraham Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #7

The Smart Vent has been an actual blessing to provide proper balanced ventilation. Although it is easy, it is time consuming and slightly delays the beginning installation of the shingles since the bottom edge is where you start.

I have posted several photos about the installation of it on other forums and if I can find them easily, I will provide a link to them.

As a matter of fact Jerry, since you also visit the roofing dot com site, I have them posted in that forum, so just click on my user profile and see my recent posts, because I just added the photos in a link on that site.

Ed
Old 04-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #8

Here is that link to the thread where I show the details used to install the Smart Vent by DCI Products on the eave edge of a manufactured home roof plus also where necessitated as a mid-roof application, along with a full continuous application of the Shingle Vent II ridge vent to provide a completely balanced ventilation system on this home.

http://www.contractortalk.com/showthread.php?t=37659

Ed