Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
soon-to-be homeowner

Share |
Question

shingles on a low-pitch roof

I'm buying a house, but having the seller replace parts of the roof. The porch is about 4'x12' with a pitch of about 2, maybe less (I haven't had a chance to measure). The owner has put a 30 year asphalt shingle on it, over the existing roll roofing (which was in poor condition). We are trying to insist that they put down a continuous membrane of some kind, but their roofer claims that shingles are better in this situation. This seems to fly in the face of reason and all the research I've done. Any thoughts?

jdbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #2

If in fact it really is only a 2/12 pitch roof, their roofer is either unknowledgeable or incompetant.

For that slope, either a flat roofing material should be installed or a full underlayment of grace Ice and Water Shield under the shingles.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
soon-to-be homeowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
...their roofer is either unknowledgeable or incompetant.
Ed
My thoughts exactly, except that they may be friends of the seller and trying to cheat me. I'm trying to get the name of the company so I can contact our state consumer protection office.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #4

Is repairing this roof part of the contract to buy the house?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
weekend warrior

just always wondered, why is roll roofing used for low sloped roofs? is it because rain can be driven up the slope under shingles?
johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
soon-to-be homeowner

The roof repair was written into an amendment to the offer. If they don't do it right, we'll probably walk away from it.

As I understand, rolled roof or rubber membranes are used because shingles can blow up in wind, and also because ice dams can form and push water under the shingles. The minimum pitch for shingles seems to be 3 or 4/12.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #7

That slope would be against building code to shingle in many areas. check with your building department. did they have a permit when it was done ?

RooferJim
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
soon-to-be homeowner

I never thought of either of those things. I'm meeting with the seller, her agent, her roofer and my agent tomorrow at the house to hash this out. That'll be one of my first questions.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:03 AM   #9

If the seller refuses to do the roof properly then you can either reduce your offer on the house to reflect that you will have to redo the roof properly or walk away from the deal.

You may want to get 2 or 3 estimates for what the job will cost to have it done properly.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #10

Sorry to butt in, but it is a buyers market right now. They will probley do what you ask to sell the house.

sedwick is offline   Reply With Quote