Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Shingles Curling

I replaced some sheathing and roofing shingles the other day on a part of my roof. I noticed while looking around that some of the shingles are starting to curl. They are GAF 3 tab soverign. They are about 8 to 10 years old. The roof was replaced before I bought the house and the inspector said that the roof was only a fairly new. BUT there ridge vent was not installed when the roof was done(horrible house inspector I guess). There is a big spot on the roof ridge where it is supposed to be but absent. Knowing now what I didn't know then with the importance of attic ventilation I'm supposing that I'll have to have it replaced. I probably end up doing it myself seeing as though contractor will cost too much. Is there anyway besides adding more ventilation of prolonging the current roof? Should I just go up there and put roofing mastic on the curling shingles I find?

pjm30043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,954

Shingles Curling

Post a picture.
Sure sounds like a classic case of poor venting causing over heating.
Your going to be playing wack a mole by trying to just keep patching this roof.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 518

Shingles Curling

Poor ventilation and it will be cheaper in the long run to do proper ventilation and put on a good 50 year roof. Might even want to add gable vents too.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #4

Shingles Curling

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Shingles Curling-roof-0031.jpg   Shingles Curling-roof-0021.jpg   Shingles Curling-roof-0011.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #5

Shingles Curling

As you can see it has started to curl in some places. Maybe if get some attic ventilation going maybe I can save it.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 518

Shingles Curling

I think my eyes are playing tricks but it looks like your shingles are lined up and not staggered out If that is true that us very bad!
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #7

Shingles Curling

What would happen if they weren't? I don't have any leaks in my house. I think the ones I pulled up were staggered. Starter shingles weren't used. In matter of fact we found one shingle turned upside down. But there seemed to be more on the edges then in the middle.

Last edited by pjm30043; 06-25-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Shingles Curling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
I think my eyes are playing tricks but it looks like your shingles are lined up and not staggered out If that is true that us very bad!
Looks staggered to me..

Matt Kiefer
Columbus Advanced Inspections
Columbus, Ohio Home Inspections
mkiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shingles Curling

Looks straight-up or "racking" pattern to me, as Nailbags said. The diagonal pattern is much better with wind. Notice the line going up the roof from wind damage. Put some dollops under them; compare Table 1, fig.6 and 13; https://ams.confex.com/ams/29Hurrica...per_167533.htm Click on the "PDF" high-lighted link to the paper. Use the "tools" to magnify to read it if over 50 years old......

Gary
Old 06-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 506

Shingles Curling

Racking or carpenter's pattern also channels the water in a straight line down the keyways every time it rains, putting premature wear on the same areas over and over again. A staggered pattern breaks up the water flow more evenly over the entire roof.

I'm not sure if I'd like to see a better picture of the eave/gutter detail or not.
You never want to combine gable and ridge vent in the same roof. If you have adequate soffit vents, use ridge vent. If no soffit the gables are okay but do NOT add ridge and gable vent.

As for the curling, either wind or a poor shingle. Not sure which though.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #11

Shingles Curling

Is there a particular size gable vent I should put in? There weren't any drip edges put in on the roof and there is siding on the house. I don't think their were very many or any soffit vents at all. Will have to pull the siding down to look.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Shingles Curling

The gable vent would need to be huge; to be effective, scroll back a few to the Chapter start- "Attic ventilation"; http://books.google.com/books?id=Z8a...0vents&f=false

Are you seeing moisture on the roof framing or sheathing in the attic?

Is this the prevailing wind side of the house?

I notice the spots with the tab corners lifting -- line up with the trusses at both points (per gutter spikes). I think because they are higher than the sagging (mid-truss) sheathing (probably OSB), they tend to catch the directional wind, hence all tabs on one side only are lifted/curling. Venting the attic won't reduce the shingle temps enough to mention.

Gary
Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #13

Shingles Curling

one pic is the front side and two photos are from the back side.